Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Grammy's Roly Poly! " blueberry" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/grammys-roly-poly-%22-blueberry%22-t132902.html)

girliegirl 06-25-2011 05:12 AM

she, your Grandma had to use fresh or it would of been a mess.. I am going to get the recipe for you. my sister just gave me a copy of it last month, as a suddle hint for me to make.. I will post it and I will email it to you !! PROMISE

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135
I sure would like the recipe (dough espcially) as my fraternal grandma used to make this, only she usede cherries. Not sure if they were fresh or the canned pie filling - too long ago to remember. She really didn't cook much that I remember but Cherry Roly Poly was something I do. Probably shouldn't have it at all with this darn diabetic thing but wouldn't mind trying maybe even a small one. Hope you (or someone) can come up with the dough recipe.

Thanks so much for that great rememberance!
Sandy in Mooresville, NC

svenskaflicka1 06-25-2011 06:47 AM

this whole conversation is making my mouth water...

Limey 06-25-2011 06:49 AM

My Granny would make a suet crust; not healthy nowadays but one made with diced vegetable shortening would likely work. Her filling was raisins, currants,sugar. She would roll it up, wrap in butter-paper and steam. Sometimes she used apples and sugar...Yum, Yum! as my granddaughter would say!

ladyinpurple135 06-25-2011 07:08 AM

[quote=girliegirl]she, your Grandma had to use fresh or it would of been a mess.. I am going to get the recipe for you. my sister just gave me a copy of it last month, as a suddle hint for me to make.. I will post it and I will email it to you !! PROMISE

Thank you so sew much! Not sure my family would take to this but I am sure mym siste would remember and perhaps her daughter and grandchildren would like it. No hurry.

Just an FYI -m We are all from York, PA originally and grandma was born in Philly but her family came from NJ - not sure where this type of recipe would have originated - we're all almost pure German in heritage with a slight bit of Swiss thrown in for good measure!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

luvstoquilt 06-25-2011 07:17 AM

My grandmother made Pie Crust Cookies...delicious

Roll out the crust..sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, dot with butter. Roll up and slice.(.look like pinwheels). Bake and enjoy. Flakey and delicious!

svenskaflicka1 06-25-2011 07:40 AM

my mom would roll out the piecrust, do the cinnamon and sugar thing, and then turn me loose with cookie cutters. we just baked 'em flat--and it only took a few minutes. to this day, i love them hot out of the oven, with cold milk. so do the grandkids!

annpryor 06-25-2011 06:10 PM

I make roly poly but I use huckleberries instead of blueberries.
Yum! Yum!

ladyinpurple135 06-26-2011 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
my mom would roll out the piecrust, do the cinnamon and sugar thing, and then turn me loose with cookie cutters. we just baked 'em flat--and it only took a few minutes. to this day, i love them hot out of the oven, with cold milk. so do the grandkids!

Never though about using cookie cutters. My mom would roll out the extra dough, use butter, cinnamon and sugar and roll it back up and bake as a long roll. Thinkm we called them cinnamon roll-ups (not very original!). Loved them then and still do. I didn't bake pies, except pumpkin for my son so I would just roll out dough at any time and make them for US - not just him - OK - confession - made them while he was in school and ate them myself!! Ymmm!!!
Thanks so much to you all for the great food memories - have to figure outn how to work a little into my food choices.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

mmonohon 06-28-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt

Roll out the crust..sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, dot with butter. Roll up and slice.(.look like pinwheels). Bake and enjoy. Flakey and delicious!

We did that too. It was my favorite.

suzee 06-28-2011 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by mmonohon

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt

We did that too. It was my favorite.

We call them dumdolies. Mmmm-mmm!