Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Help with recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/help-recipe-t174640.html)

sewjoyce 01-06-2012 07:51 AM

Help with recipe

Ok, if you know me at all, you know I do NOT like to be in my kitchen except to eat. But I've been using my crockpot and just love it. So my question is this: Does anyone have an easy crockpot recipe using chicken breasts?

Thanks for your help!

QuiltE 01-06-2012 01:50 PM

~~~~~~~~~
Salsa Chicken
~~~~~~~~~
Set chicken breasts into crock.
Can also add chopped/sliced/chunked -- onions, mushrooms, celery, peppers, etc. if you wish.
Put salsa on top.
If more chicken breasts do another layer of same.
Put lid on crockpot.
Forget and go and sew!!!

At supper time,
take lid off and sprinkle some feta on top of the chicken.
Put lid back on as you do the final preparations to let the cheese melt a little.

Delicious!!!!

Variation .... Greek Chicken ... same as above but use antipasto.

Serve with rice and steamed veggies ... and/or or a salad.

Leftovers are great re-heated or added to salads.

sewjoyce 01-06-2012 02:42 PM

Oh my goodness....that sounds delicious and EASY!!

QuiltE 01-06-2012 02:46 PM

Absolutely!! And you don't need to put on a lot of salsa. I usually spread it on, kind of like icing the chicken!
More is OK, but the chicken is more apt to fall apart ... more like chicken salsa soup!

Instead of feta, I usually use fresh grated parmesan and keep the feta for the greek version.

You can also bake it, in a flat pan.

imdelagarza62 01-07-2012 05:05 AM

You can also use italian dressing along with garlic and onions.

Steady Stiching 01-07-2012 06:13 AM

You might want to give boneless skinless chicken thighs in your recipes for the crock pot. Breasts tend to get overcooked IMHO.
McCormick has a season packet for pulled pork, I use this with chicken thighs, shread and serve on buns, wonderful smoky flavor.

sewjoyce 01-07-2012 06:23 AM

Oh wow...more fantastic ideas!! You all are just as creative in your cooking as you are in your sewing!!

And I don't think I've ever seen boneless skinless chicken thighs in the store...but then I've never looked!! :D Will have to check that out on my next trip!

QuiltE 01-07-2012 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce (Post 4850804)
Oh wow...more fantastic ideas!! You all are just as creative in your cooking as you are in your sewing!!

And I don't think I've ever seen boneless skinless chicken thighs in the store...but then I've never looked!! :D Will have to check that out on my next trip!

The thighs can be a great $ $aver, if you don't care whether it's dark/light meat! And it doesn't matter whether with/without bone. It depends which I have, which I use for the same recipe.

I don't find one or the other cooks any faster in the crock ... more so it's how long I leave it there! Breasts would take longer and less apt to be overcooked, because of the larger mass of meat.

jodyma 01-07-2012 06:39 AM

Cover chicken breast with cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup. Add in about 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Cover and cook

QuiltE 01-07-2012 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by jodyma (Post 4850864)
Cover chicken breast with cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup. Add in about 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Cover and cook

Thanks for the idea ... Sounds delicious!! ... must try this soon. I think I'd "beef" up the soup with some extra mushrooms and celery.

Do you use condensed soup? or ready-to-eat?