Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   How Do I freeze Peaches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-do-i-freeze-peaches-t195687.html)

wendiq 07-25-2012 06:26 AM

How Do I freeze Peaches

I don't have many.....a dozen good sized freestone peaches that I would like to freeze for later as we can't eat them all now before they spoil. I really don't know how to do this. Any help will be appreciated...:)

BarbM32 07-25-2012 06:27 AM

While I never freezed any I have made some delicious pickled peaches for the holidays. They are good for every day but did not have enough.

karenpatrick 07-25-2012 06:29 AM

Blanch them to get the peel off. Slice them up. Use a mixture of sugar and "Fruit Fresh" (available at any store - follow the mixing directions on the label.) Put them in plastic bags and freeze. Easy as pie - peach pie!

Lori S 07-25-2012 06:32 AM

I just peel them ,slice them, and just a bit of sugar to get a bit more juice ... put them in a container, or freezer bag. For fast peeling , pour boiling water over the peach , let it set for just a minute( or less) ... till the skin color changes darker and skins just slide right off.
DO get as much of the air out of whatever container you will be using.. thats why I do like the freezer zip lock bags.

Scraps 07-25-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick (Post 5392809)
blanch them to get the peel off. Slice them up. Use a mixture of sugar and "fruit fresh" (available at any store - follow the mixing directions on the label.) put them in plastic bags and freeze. Easy as pie - peach pie!

fruit fresh fruit fresh is the secret! :-) and get all the air out of your freezer bags. I used to have two peach trees in my michigan yard and i canned and froze lots of peaches - still my favorite!! Enjoy

QuiltE 07-25-2012 07:06 AM

I often freeze extras with the skins on, and then I just toss them into smoothies later.
Of course, depends on what you plan to use them for ... then you may want to slip the skins.

Instead of using Fruit Frest .... you can just dump the slices into 7-Up or Sprite (diet or regular). They don't need to sit any time, just so long as they are fully covered with the 7-UP. Then remove and freeze. If you want them to be "singles" you can lay them on a cookie sheet til frozen, then bag. I prefer to lay them flat in a bag, to save the second step later!

BTW ... the 7-Up method works perfectly to keep sliced fruit for a fruit tray from going dark! A tip I was given by a professional caterer as to how they prepare the fruit ahead for orders.

wendiq 07-25-2012 07:21 AM

Thank You, ALL. I should receive these jewels this afternoon. I'll freeze them tomorrow. I like the idea of using the ziplock bags......take up much less room in the freezer and once they are packaged, it is done!

QuiltE 07-25-2012 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq (Post 5392996)
Thank You, ALL. I should receive these jewels this afternoon. I'll freeze them tomorrow. I like the idea of using the ziplock bags......take up much less room in the freezer and once they are packaged, it is done!

I use the snack size zip locks ... one is just the right size for a single serving for myself ... or to toss into a smoothie.

wendiq 07-25-2012 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick (Post 5392809)
Blanch them to get the peel off. Slice them up. Use a mixture of sugar and "Fruit Fresh" (available at any store - follow the mixing directions on the label.) Put them in plastic bags and freeze. Easy as pie - peach pie!

This what I am going to do....:) Thanks..

Alice Woodhull 07-26-2012 03:36 AM

I just peel them and put in water with fruit fresh to keep them from turning brown. Then I slice them into a colander to drain good. Put them in quart zipper freezer bags and you'll have enough for a pie. I don't put sugar on them until I'm ready to make the pie. We have scads of them this year. The first tree is done and the white ones will be the next to ripen. Then four or five more trees I will be working on until the last one ripens at the end of September. I'll put away a lotof them this year because it may be several years before we have them again. There aren't any wormy ones either.