Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Need a recipe for Spicy Hot Mixed Vegetable Pickles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-recipe-spicy-hot-mixed-vegetable-pickles-t197175.html)

ncredbird 08-09-2012 04:35 PM

Need a recipe for Spicy Hot Mixed Vegetable Pickles

Last year I requested a recipe for a Crisp Dill Pickle and one of our members posted her outstanding blue ribbon winning recipe. The one that she provided won over the family completely. Even my 3 year old grandson still says "pickle" every time Dad opens up the refrigerator. The batch I made for them was long gone about Valentines Day of 2012.
My daughter in law loves mixed spicy hot pickled vegetables and buys them in huge jars at the market. She purchases a brand called Mrs Klein's So Hot Mix which contains Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Peppers (Jalapenos), Carrots, Water, Salt, Vinegar, Turmeric, and Yellow Food coloring. Right now I have a lot of odds and ends in the garden that I thought I could use if I had a similar recipe.
I was wondering if any of you have a recipe for something similar? The only thing I can find on the internet is an Armenian Pickle called Tourshi, which I have never eaten and don't know if I could remove the cabbage from that recipe without it affecting the shelf life/ safety of the finished product.
I am hoping one of you generous people might be able to come up with another winning recipe that I can add to my arsenal. Thanks, Ann in Tn

anndr 08-10-2012 03:41 AM

Would you please send me your Crisp Dill Pickle recipe? I make the sweet crisp pickles every year, but all of the dill pickle recipes I have tried, turned out soggy. I hate a soggy pickle! I haven't made the mixed veggie pickles, but I did buy some from an Amish market that had corn, cauliflower, snap beans, peas, peppers, carrots, etc., that was out of this world. ~~Ann~~

ncredbird 08-10-2012 03:59 AM

Ann,
The recipe that I was referring to is on our recipe board at: http://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes...e-t104127.html It is message number 7 from Alice Woodhull. If you make it you will not be disappointed! Ann in TN

Alice Woodhull 08-10-2012 04:01 AM

I hope you got the recipe I sent you for the mixed pickles. I tried 3 times before I think it went through. I am so computer illiterate. If you didn't, I'll try this route. If that doesn't work, I will put it here. Also, you can give the dill pickle recipe to anyone who asks for it. It is a good one. And never turns out soft and slick. Our local Walmart has the Ball Blue Books, and as I said before, it is my canning "Bible."

gennie1950 08-10-2012 04:26 AM

alice, so the dill pickle and mixed veg recipe are from the ball blue book. I hope so cuz I have that book. I just made pickles garlic. I love that stuff except I wish they would stay crispier. I am sitting here typing and think after a short brain fart, why didn't I use the new ball Pickle Crisp product from ball. Well there is always next year. I just finished 30lbs of garlic and I am about garlicked out.

redeagle 08-10-2012 05:02 AM

My mother used to use alum in her pickle recipes to keep them crisp.

Janice Thompson 08-10-2012 04:56 PM

HOT MIX-- 1 HEAD DILL FOR EACH jar , 1 clove of garlic for each jar
3 quarts water
1 quart distilled white vinegar
1 cup kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon powdered alum for each jar.

1 head cauliflower
18-20 small firm pickles
16-80 small carrots
30 pickle onions (5 per jar)
24-30 hot peppers.

Scrub pickles, wash and cut in small pieces, also the cauliflower and carrots. If you can get pickle onions or cut a larger onion in small pieces. Pierce each pepper with needle 4 times. Hot peppers about 4 per jar or if you want hotter add more.

Place all vegetables in scalded jar, 1 clove of garlic. 1/4 teas alum and 1 head of dill.

Mix water, vinegar and salt, bring to boil and pour at once over vegetables. Be sure the jar is scalded before filling with vegetables. Fill with brine right away and seal with a scalded lid. Store in cool dark place for at least six weeks before opening. Makes about 7n quarts.

Alice Woodhull 08-11-2012 05:02 AM

No, the dill pickle recipe is not in the Ball Blue Book. But the other one is. Igot the dill pickle recipe one year when I was doing 4-H judging. I liked them so much that I wrote the recipe down and have been using it myself ever since.

Originally Posted by gennie1950 (Post 5430503)
alice, so the dill pickle and mixed veg recipe are from the ball blue book. I hope so cuz I have that book. I just made pickles garlic. I love that stuff except I wish they would stay crispier. I am sitting here typing and think after a short brain fart, why didn't I use the new ball Pickle Crisp product from ball. Well there is always next year. I just finished 30lbs of garlic and I am about garlicked out.

Steady Stiching 08-11-2012 05:25 AM

A note to all hot pepper users. Due to the drought hot peppers and radishes are very much extra hot this year. Might want to add less than you think you need or that your recipe calls for. Tasting raw pepper to guage might be prudent.

riutzelj 08-11-2012 09:10 AM

adding a grape leave to pickles helps keep them crisp. i use that instead of alum. might work with the hot mixed as well.