Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Want CRISP dill pickle recipe please

I make several batches of sweet cucumber pickles each year. My husband loves them, plus I use them in potato salad etc. I have no trouble making crispy sweet pickles, but my dill pickles always come out "soft". Does anyone here have a TRIED and TRUE recipe that makes dill pickles that are crispy? Something that must be easy since I haven't figured out the ones I already have tried.... Thank you for your help.

I'm looking also.

Me, too!

Blog Entries
    Haven't made them, but sounds good.
    http://grannysu.blogspot.com/2009/07...th-salmon.html

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    I'm going to have to get some salmon to freeze before I can try this!

Blog Entries
    LOL....I think a solid block of ice would work as well :)

Quote Originally Posted by donnaree59
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    I'm going to have to get some salmon to freeze before I can try this!

Here is my recipe for Dill Pickles. It won the blue ribbon at the Indiana State Fair last year.

4 quarts water
    1 quart vinegar
    1 cup canning salt
    Heat to boiling.
    1 head dill per jar
    1 clove garlic per jar
    Split pickles into halves or quarters and place in jar with dill and garlic. Pour vinegar mixture over pickles, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Top with lid and ring. Process 5 minutes in boiling water bath.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull
    Here is my recipe for Dill Pickles. It won the blue ribbon at the Indiana State Fair last year.

Do you pack the jars pretty tight with the pickle strips or do you leave them free enough for more of the brine?

This may be my first year of making good dill pickles!!! Thank you for sharing, especially since it has GOT to be good!

Blog Entries
    Process 5 minutes in boiling water bath.
    PROCESS 5 MINUTES ??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

No wonder my pickles are MUSH - I think I gave them a bath for 15-20 minutes!

They're dilly but mush :( :( :oops: :cry:

Blog Entries
    The recipe in a newer cookbook says you should use a timer ,as the 5mins in hot water bath is critical for crisp pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Process 5 minutes in boiling water bath.
    PROCESS 5 MINUTES ??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

No wonder my pickles are MUSH - I think I gave them a bath for 15-20 minutes!

They're dilly but mush :( :( :oops: :cry:

Ok girls...here's the secret. We used to be able to buy a product called Pickle Crsip but they discountued it. We got the bright idea to look what was in it, lo and behold it was called Calcium Chloride. It is used to make soap. I bought it online and it came in a 7 lb. container. You use 3/4 tsp. for a pint and 1 1/2 tsp. for a quart. This works for everything..peppers, cucumbers, etc. I hope you all try it, it really works.

Can't find any of my old recipes but we used to soak the slices in alum for several days to crisp them

Quote Originally Posted by susieqgc1
    Ok girls...here's the secret. We used to be able to buy a product called Pickle Crsip but they discountued it. We got the bright idea to look what was in it, lo and behold it was called Calcium Chloride. It is used to make soap. I bought it online and it came in a 7 lb. container. You use 3/4 tsp. for a pint and 1 1/2 tsp. for a quart. This works for everything..peppers, cucumbers, etc. I hope you all try it, it really works.
    Never heard of this... I use pickling lime get my sweet pickles crisp. Soak them for 3 days before putting into jars...

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom
    Can't find any of my old recipes but we used to soak the slices in alum for several days to crisp them
    I've heard of that before, but have not seen any recipes with it. I really just got tired of trying and stopped with the dill ones, but we always make an abundance of cucumbers, and I'd really like to try again.

I don't cut mine into slices. I cut them in half if they aren't too big. If so, I cut them in quarters. I never slice mine. I just put them into the jars without cramming them, just firmly packed. I use canning salt. If you follow the timing in the recipe, you'll have great pickles. When I went to pick up my jars after the fair, I noticed that the dill pickles were about half gone. I asked about it, and one of the ladies working there said the workers got started eating on them, they had to stop so there would be an exhibit left for the fair. I guaranteeif you follow the recipe exactly, they will be crisp and good.

No, I don't pack them in too tightly, just firmly. I don't slice them, just cut them in half lengthwise if they aren't too big, and if they are bigger, I cut them into fourths. I use canning salt, and if you follow this recipe, you'll be successful.

No, I don't pack them in too tightly, just firmly. I don't slice them, just cut them in half lengthwise if they aren't too big, and if they are bigger, I cut them into fourths. I use canning salt, and if you follow this recipe, you'll be successful.
    Thank you! When I have tried this this summer, I'll let you know how they turn out~!

Thank you Alice for providing this recipe. I love the dills my mother use to made in the cocks, but I don't have the right conditions where I live to do this. I am going to try your recipe this summer.

Blog Entries
    Alum usually keeps them crispy, and also hard water or store boughten water helps too. It is a real science to get a good pickle that your family likes, and it turns out every year to be good.

With canning be it pickles, jams and jellies or vegetables there are food safety issues that need to be addressed. Here's the National Food Preservation website that will answer all your food preservation questions, provide tested recipes and explain why and how foods need to be processed and for how long to prevent bacterial problems. Good luck with the dill pickles!
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

How long do they set before eating them

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota
    Alum usually keeps them crispy, and also hard water or store boughten water helps too. It is a real science to get a good pickle that your family likes, and it turns out every year to be good.
    If hard water has much to do with it, our pickles around here could be like cement! We have well water, and we really need a filter. Maybe one day we can get one...right now it is just straight out of the ground, from about 386'. Deep well water with LOTS of minerals!

Quote Originally Posted by koko
    With canning be it pickles, jams and jellies or vegetables there are food safety issues that need to be addressed. Here's the National Food Preservation website that will answer all your food preservation questions, provide tested recipes and explain why and how foods need to be processed and for how long to prevent bacterial problems. Good luck with the dill pickles!
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/
    Thanks for the link. Will try to read up on it later today. It may have lots of things there I'd like to try!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by traveling2dals
    How long do they set before eating them
    With the sweet pickles, it takes about 3 days to make them. They are usually pretty crisp when you finish. Do taste better cold... Not sure about the dill ones!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donnaree59
    Does anyone here have a TRIED and TRUE recipe that makes dill pickles that are crispy?
    REFRIGERATOR DILL PICKLES

(I've had these remain crisp, in the fridge, from one season to the next.)

4 qts. (1 gallon) whole or chunked cucumbers
    16 garlic cloves, sliced
    4 heads fresh dill
    1/2 tsp. dried red pepper flakes

1 qt. cider vinegar
    1 qt. water
    1/4 c. pickling spices
    1/3 c. pickling/canning salt
    2 Tbsp. white sugar
    1/2 tsp. tumeric
    1 c. chopped fresh dill

Pack in jars or plastic tubs with lids.
    Add garlic and a pinch of pepper flakes to each container.
    Add sprigs of fresh dill.

Boil vinegar, water, spices, salt, sugar, tumeric & chopped dill. Turn down & simmer 5 minutes.
    Strain and add brine to pickle containers.
    Cool, cover and refrigerate. Wait 7 to 10 days to eat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast