Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Poker night menu (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/poker-night-menu-t203368.html)

Chasing Hawk 10-17-2012 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot (Post 5589885)
My husband is hosting the poker night this Thursday evening and I don't have a clue what to make. Any simple and quick ideas? No pork products, however/...

A deli platter with turkey, roast beef and cheeses. A nice selection of fresh breads, chips and dips. And the usual drinks....beer, sodas, water and coffee.

icon17 10-17-2012 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom (Post 5589979)
Grape Jelly Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 bag small frozen meatballs (40 to 50 count)
1 (16 oz) jar grape jelly
1 (8 oz) jar chili sauce

Directions:
Prepare the meatballs according to directions on the bag, drain when cooked.

Mix the grape jelly and the chili sauce together in a large saucepan, and add meatballs. Cook on medium until hot. Put out toothpicks for serving.

If using a crockpot, put all in crock and cook on low 6-8 hours. You can also make your own favorite homemade meatballs if you prefer.

This recipe is old as the hills but everyone still loves it!!

I should have mentioned that I just dump the frozen meatballs into the crock pot, pour the sauce over and let it go. Or you could thaw the meatballs in the fridge the day before to shorten the heating time.

This is a GREAT one!! and HERE's a Change Up: USE Raspberry Jam

red-warrior 10-17-2012 12:41 PM

My guys like this hot chicken dip with scoops or veggies!
INGREDIENTS:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
softened
1/2 cup blue cheese salad dressing/0r ranch dressing
1/2 cup Frank's® RedHot® Original
Cayenne Pepper Sauce or Frank's®
RedHot® Buffalo Wing Sauce
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or
shredded mozzarella cheese (i use x sharp cheddar)
2 (9.75 ounce) cans Swanson® drained -( I cook up a big breast)
Assorted fresh vegetables or crackers
DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Stir the cream cheese in a 9-inch deep dish pie plate with a fork or whisk until it's smooth. Stir in the dressing, pepper sauce and blue cheese. Stir in the chicken.
3. Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken mixture is hot and bubbly. Stir before serving. Serve with the vegetables and crackers for dipping.

Mary Walden 10-17-2012 01:09 PM

I asked my husband that same ? and he said well most important BEER! then maybe chex mix, mixed nuts and then the main spread would be hoagie rolls and different meats and cheseese for sandwiches.He said no chips or baffalo wings because to greasy. hope this helps

LindaJR 10-17-2012 02:38 PM

I always did the meatballs with grape jelly and sourkraut. Always a favorite. Will have to try the chili sause next time.

TanyaL 10-18-2012 04:22 AM

Depends on what type of poker players they are. If they are serious about their poker, then nothing that takes too much room on the table, gets their fingers messy and will get on the cards. A bowl of nuts, a bowl of pretzels, everyone's favorite brand of beer, soft drinks if you have some non-drinkers, maybe some coffee. Most guys eat before they leave to play poker. If they are coming for supper first, then they probably will be happy with a grilled steak or ribs. Usually the main thing is that the wife and children should be no-shows for the whole evening.

adamae 02-01-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 5591927)
Reminds me of my father's poker night eons ago. My mother ordered, from the bakery, one plain sandwich bread,one tinted in pink and another in green. She made little finger sandwiches (cut the bread with cookie cutters) with checken and egg salad and then served cute little butter cookies and punch. Needless to say, dad never hosted again. Don't know if the menu was intentional or not.

DIL and GD painted golden lab's toenails bright pink night before my son took her duck hunting. Wonder what the duck club guys thought. Your Mother, a genius.

my-ty 02-01-2013 02:01 PM

It's his party, why should you do the work?