Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Salads from the 1970 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/salads-1970-a-t193271.html)

JanieW 07-01-2012 05:05 PM

My mom used to make a Harvard beet salad.

She used 1 can harvard beets, 1 can niblets corn, (drained) and 1 or 2 Tablespoons salad dressing, usually Miracle Whip. She always made it when we had fish. She sometimes chopped celery into it . I remember I liked the leftovers better than the first time around.

kathdavis 07-01-2012 05:51 PM

Making 7 layer salad for the 4th. I can't wait. I love it.

Grammie Sharon 07-02-2012 02:43 AM

AT our guild board meeting a member brought the orange jello salad. It was deliciouse. i haven't had this in years.

WMUTeach 07-02-2012 03:12 AM

I remember the carrots and raisins in orange jello and once in a while in lime jello. I am not a raw veggie and jellow person and did not eat them, but they were church potluck favorites.

mjsylvstr 07-02-2012 03:22 AM

we had one that everyone seems to enjoy..Use lime jello and either crushed pineapple or chunk ...when jello starts to mold, add little chunks of cream cheese.it was delicious......the sweetness of the pineapple and the bit of tartness from the jello..........delicious

honeybea 07-02-2012 04:18 AM

I have wanted to make the orange jello with carrots lately and just can't find my old recipe.... can anyone direct me to the original jello recipe......that would be much appreciated.....Bea

honeybea 07-02-2012 04:32 AM

I just want to add to my previous post that it was just orange jello and shredded carrots?

QuiltE 07-02-2012 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by honeybea (Post 5332770)
I have wanted to make the orange jello with carrots lately and just can't find my old recipe.... can anyone direct me to the original jello recipe......that would be much appreciated.....Bea

No recipe .. here's what I do .........
Make jello with a little less water (1-3/4 cups instead of 2).
Set in frig, and when it starts to set (about consistency of an egg white) add shredded carrots.
Stir in, and let set in frig.
If you remember, go back and stir again, before it gets set too far.
If you forget, no harm done, just that the carrots many not be so evenly distributed.

If adding crushed pineapple, drain well, and add with the carrots.

You can make it with regular jello, or sugar free. I find the s/f does not set so firm, so I would only use 1-1/2 cups water instead of the 1-3/4.

bobquilt3 07-02-2012 05:53 AM

We just used the carrot and pineapple in lemon jello. Not as elaborate but very good.

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5331413)
I'm really not sure what the 1970's salads would be??...

Shredded carrots with crushed pineapple in orange jello ... that was a family favourite way back to when I was a kid (and long before the 70s!)

Here's one my MIL made for family gatherings in the 70s ...
5 Cup Salad
One cup each of
sour cream, coconut, pineapple chunks, mini marshmallows, mandarin oranges
Drain fruit, and mix together.
Make ahead, to let the marshmallows soften and puff up before serving.
Garnish with maraschino cherries.

And oh, I shouldn'r forget her all time winner in the 70s salads category ....... plain iceberg lettuce, topped with one tomato slice, then a blob of French Dressing.

bobquilt3 07-02-2012 05:55 AM

That beet salad sounds good. Gotta' give it a try.