Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Salads from the 1970

Blog Entries

Salads from the 1970

The orange jello salad reminded of a few salads we used to make. Of course I can't remember all of them. I know we used a can of harvard beets, maybe diced apple or was it a can of corn. There was also one with shreadded carott & raisins. Anyone remember how to make these.
    True4uca

Isn't the shredded carrot and raisins just tossed with a coleslaw dressing? Think sometimes pineapple may have been added too.

Blog Entries
    BEETS! REALLY??? I've got to watch this thread and read about that one, if anybody remembers. I think the carrot and raisin one was more like a cole slaw, although, I do remember one with shredded carrots in orange jello.
    Sue

I'm really not sure what the 1970's salads would be??...

Shredded carrots with crushed pineapple in orange jello ... that was a family favourite way back to when I was a kid (and long before the 70s!)

Here's one my MIL made for family gatherings in the 70s ...
    5 Cup Salad
    One cup each of
    sour cream, coconut, pineapple chunks, mini marshmallows, mandarin oranges
    Drain fruit, and mix together.
    Make ahead, to let the marshmallows soften and puff up before serving.
    Garnish with maraschino cherries.

And oh, I shouldn'r forget her all time winner in the 70s salads category ....... plain iceberg lettuce, topped with one tomato slice, then a blob of French Dressing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    I know I said 70's salads, I should say that is when I made them. I remember you must always keep these tinned items in your pantry. They made a quick last minute salad, so for sure jello was not involved, as that needed time to set. I know the harvard beets had a sauce(?),do they even make those anymore.I think that one was a can of beets, a can of corn niblets (sp) & maybe a handful of raisins lightly mixed together. I think SouthP has it right for the shredded carrots. Think I will look for the beets, haven't seen those in years. I need to bring a salad to a BBQ.
    True4uca

Quote Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
    I know I said 70's salads, I should say that is when I made them. I remember you must always keep these tinned items in your pantry. They made a quick last minute salad, so for sure jello was not involved, as that needed time to set. I know the harvard beets had a sauce(?),do they even make those anymore.I think that one was a can of beets, a can of corn niblets (sp) & maybe a handful of raisins lightly mixed together. I think SouthP has it right for the shredded carrots. Think I will look for the beets, haven't seen those in years. I need to bring a salad to a BBQ.
    Have your seen the 7 layer pea salad? It's just wonderful. I took it to a fish fry and didnt have any left....go figure, a bunch of Tarpon fishermen eating a salad. Will post the recipe if you want it
    Ellen......I'm gonna go play now

http://bestsmileys.com/computer1/19.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/auntie_em22

One of my favorites then and now was just simply individual plates layered with lettuce, cottage cheese, a pear half on top with a dollop of sour cream.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

would love your7 layer salad recipe??

Thanks, delma

Quote Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
    Yes you can still buy canned harvard beets. Though mixing them with corn niblets, the corn would go purple .. not sure I'd be enticed in the least with that though.

So are you saying you are looking for salads that are made from canned ingredients?

Ellen ... The 7 layered pea salad .... is that the one with the lettuce, and other veggies, and then you top it off with an "icing" that's your dressing?

Just for discussion's sake.....you refer to 70's salad recipes. How many remember "Watergate Salad"? I still make that at least once a summer. Would have to look up the exact measurements but ingredients are pistachio pudding, cool whip, mini marshmallows, crushed pineapple and nuts....... and I wonder why I'm not losing weight.

My mom used to make a Harvard beet salad.

She used 1 can harvard beets, 1 can niblets corn, (drained) and 1 or 2 Tablespoons salad dressing, usually Miracle Whip. She always made it when we had fish. She sometimes chopped celery into it . I remember I liked the leftovers better than the first time around.

Blog Entries
    Making 7 layer salad for the 4th. I can't wait. I love it.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

AT our guild board meeting a member brought the orange jello salad. It was deliciouse. i haven't had this in years.
    Sharon

I remember the carrots and raisins in orange jello and once in a while in lime jello. I am not a raw veggie and jellow person and did not eat them, but they were church potluck favorites.

we had one that everyone seems to enjoy..Use lime jello and either crushed pineapple or chunk ...when jello starts to mold, add little chunks of cream cheese.it was delicious......the sweetness of the pineapple and the bit of tartness from the jello..........delicious

Blog Entries
    I have wanted to make the orange jello with carrots lately and just can't find my old recipe.... can anyone direct me to the original jello recipe......that would be much appreciated.....Bea

Blog Entries
    I just want to add to my previous post that it was just orange jello and shredded carrots?

Quote Originally Posted by honeybea View Post
    I have wanted to make the orange jello with carrots lately and just can't find my old recipe.... can anyone direct me to the original jello recipe......that would be much appreciated.....Bea
    No recipe .. here's what I do .........
    Make jello with a little less water (1-3/4 cups instead of 2).
    Set in frig, and when it starts to set (about consistency of an egg white) add shredded carrots.
    Stir in, and let set in frig.
    If you remember, go back and stir again, before it gets set too far.
    If you forget, no harm done, just that the carrots many not be so evenly distributed.

If adding crushed pineapple, drain well, and add with the carrots.

You can make it with regular jello, or sugar free. I find the s/f does not set so firm, so I would only use 1-1/2 cups water instead of the 1-3/4.

We just used the carrot and pineapple in lemon jello. Not as elaborate but very good.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I'm really not sure what the 1970's salads would be??...

Shredded carrots with crushed pineapple in orange jello ... that was a family favourite way back to when I was a kid (and long before the 70s!)

Here's one my MIL made for family gatherings in the 70s ...
    5 Cup Salad
    One cup each of
    sour cream, coconut, pineapple chunks, mini marshmallows, mandarin oranges
    Drain fruit, and mix together.
    Make ahead, to let the marshmallows soften and puff up before serving.
    Garnish with maraschino cherries.

And oh, I shouldn'r forget her all time winner in the 70s salads category ....... plain iceberg lettuce, topped with one tomato slice, then a blob of French Dressing.

That beet salad sounds good. Gotta' give it a try.

Blog Entries
    I still make one with lime yello, 2 pkg...shredded carrots, can pineapple tidbits drained and sunflower seeds....let yello set up a little and then mix in the rest....favorite to/go for potlucks...
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Blog Entries
    yes please put your recipe, love to eat these salads. Also for those of you who like beets, you can take beets, wash them and cut off stems and wrap in foil and bake at 400 for an hours, the peel easily after baking and taste amazing. I just found out that using beet stems in soup add tons of flavor and saw on line you can also just stir fry them!
    Patski
    always learning

Just reminded me- Gotta go look up recipe for a broccoli salad- yum!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

An old favorite for gals lunches. Drain a can of pineapple slices and save the juice. Let the pineapple slices remain in the can. Prepare any kind of jello you prefer, I used lime, replace water with the pineapple juice and pour over the pineapple slices. I also used less fluid when mixing the jello so it would be more solid. Refrigerate. When ready to serve simply dump out the can and slice between the pineapple slice. Place on lettuce leaf or whatever you choose - garnish and serve. I have used this as both a salad or w/o the lettuce garnished as a dessert topped with toasted coconut and a maraschino cherry.
    The quilt you see, is a part of me.
    In your hand is the sum of my parts
    My mind, my body and a piece of my heart.
    Wrap in it, lay on it, cry, and dream.
    It's made to help you know what love means.

Quote Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
    would love your7 layer salad recipe??

Thanks, delma
    Layer in an 8 x 8" pan or 9 x 13" if making for a crowd. The amounts are up to you. Layer in the order given....top ingredient will be on the bottom.

Lettuce, chopped
    Celery, sliced
    Onion, sliced
    1T sugar
    Frozen peas, semi-thawed
    Mayo, spread out like frosting
    Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    Bacon Bits

You might need to pack it down as you go....especially after the pea layer. Cover with plastic or foil and refrigerate at least 8 hours. This is so surprising.
    Ellen......I'm gonna go play now

http://bestsmileys.com/computer1/19.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/auntie_em22

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast