Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Salads from the 1970

My mother had a different take on the carrot salad...we had it frequently for Sunday dinner, you can make it the night before. Shredded carrots, a bit of sweet onion, mayo, and chopped up hard boiled eggs. mix and store in fridge over night.
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Spam Salad

Cooked, cooled macaronni
    cubed spam
    cubed cheddar cheese
    can of drained peas or thawed frozen
    mayonnaise (sp?)

Blend all together, put in frig and bring out for supper on a hot day. Yes, ladies there is Spam in this dish. My mom used to make this a lot, but I think it was before the 70's.

I could never see the point of vegetables in Jello. One is a side dish and one is dessert. Fruit in Jello, Yes!!

That spam salad sounds good but if someone suggests spam in jello I am going to lose my lunch!!

Power Poster
    Usually the school lunches were good (late 1950's) - the cooks must have decided to have a clean out the refrigerator day - because they put canned vegetables (peas, corn) in red jello.

We used to call the lemon jello, shredded carrots, pineapple concoction "Golden Glow Salad" - I think it had a touch of lemon juice in it, too, to liven up the flavor a bit.

yep...thats how I make it....crushed pineapple/shredded carrots, vinegar, sugar, mayo, you can also swap out the pineapple for a can of mandarin oranges. I'd add a little onion too if it was sweet.

Blog Entries
    Reminds me of the pudding salad we always made-Heavenly Rice or Glorified Rice.
    Boil juice from 15 oz. can of drained crushed pineapple with 1/2 C instant rice for 2 min. Remove it from the heat, cover it and let it sit for 5 min. Mix 3 oz. box instant vanilla pudding with 2 cups milk in med. size bowl. Add the rice, pineapple, 1/2 cup mini marshmallows, and 1/2 cup walnuts. Mix together and chill.
    Picnic anyone?

u can still get the raisin ad carrots at the supper market at least down in tn and fl all it has is the carrots and raisin and mayo init

When we got unexpected company we'd stretch dinner with a jello salad.
    1 large pkg any flavor jello, lime wa my favorite
    1 small container (pt) cottage cheese
    1 small container of Coolwhip (in the 70's you had to mix up that dry mix stuff -- don't even remember the name of it anymore. Coolwhip is much nicer!)
    1 small can crushed pineapple drained

Just dump, stir, let set a few minutes and serve.

Forgot the other quick salad for summer:
    Raisin Carrot
    Shred about 5 good sized carrots
    Add at least a cup of raisins
    Add one can of drained water pack tuna
    Mix in enough Miracle Whip to moisten

Had this first when I visited a friend in Minnesota served with homemade Corn Chowder from home grown corn. Wasn't to sure about the tuna until I tried it and liked it. Have made both the chowder and salad many times since.
    Last edited by katykwilt; 07-02-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Layer in an 8 x 8" pan or 9 x 13" if making for a crowd. The amounts are up to you. Layer in the order given....top ingredient will be on the bottom.

Lettuce, chopped
    Celery, sliced
    Onion, sliced
    1T sugar
    Frozen peas, semi-thawed
    Mayo, spread out like frosting
    Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    Bacon Bits

You might need to pack it down as you go....especially after the pea layer. Cover with plastic or foil and refrigerate at least 8 hours. This is so surprising.
    We used to make this when I was a kid, so glad to see the recipe again! My mom's recipe used parmesan cheese instead of cheddar. She used to make it in an ancient Tupperware cake carrier top. I am not a mayo fan but loved this salad!
    Lynne

Quote Originally Posted by lynnegreen View Post
    We used to make this when I was a kid, so glad to see the recipe again! My mom's recipe used parmesan cheese instead of cheddar. She used to make it in an ancient Tupperware cake carrier top. I am not a mayo fan but loved this salad!
    My original recipe had parmesan, though I usually used lots of shredded cheddar ... plus some fresly grated parmesan!
    Also put a layer carrots and/or mushrooms.
    And REAL chopped bacon ... not the artificial Bacon Bits.
    I like to make mine in a nice glass bowl, so everyone could see the layers.

Another note is that my recipe you mixed the sugar with the mayo, then spread on top.

So delicious ... and such a nice make ahead recipe!
    And now, you have me wanting to make it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Recipes were so much less precise in the 1970's -- I still make these by guess and by golly.

This is the version of Carrot and Raisin Salad that I remember:

Shred 4 or 5 carrots
    At least a cup of raisins
    Mayonaise to hold it together
    Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.

Macaroni and Tuna salad (I also make it with canned chicken or canned salmon)
    Cook 3 cups of elbow macaroni (I have used other pastas as well)
    1 cup diced celery
    1 cup thinly sliced carrots
    1/2 cup finely diced onions
    6-8 oz canned tuna
    salt
    pepper
    garlic powder
    mayonaise
    mustard

Mix all the ingredients together -- use just enough mayonaise and mustard to get the taste you want.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    Just for discussion's sake.....you refer to 70's salad recipes. How many remember "Watergate Salad"? I still make that at least once a summer. Would have to look up the exact measurements but ingredients are pistachio pudding, cool whip, mini marshmallows, crushed pineapple and nuts....... and I wonder why I'm not losing weight.
    This was huge in my family. We also made green jello with shredded carrots and top with mircle whip!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katykwilt View Post
    When we got unexpected company we'd stretch dinner with a jello salad.
    1 large pkg any flavor jello, lime wa my favorite
    1 small container (pt) cottage cheese
    1 small container of Coolwhip (in the 70's you had to mix up that dry mix stuff -- don't even remember the name of it anymore. Coolwhip is much nicer!)
    1 small can crushed pineapple drained

Just dump, stir, let set a few minutes and serve.

Forgot the other quick salad for summer:
    Raisin Carrot
    Shred about 5 good sized carrots
    Add at least a cup of raisins
    Add one can of drained water pack tuna
    Mix in enough Miracle Whip to moisten

Had this first when I visited a friend in Minnesota served with homemade Corn Chowder from home grown corn. Wasn't to sure about the tuna until I tried it and liked it. Have made both the chowder and salad many times since.
    I think that the dry stuff was called Dream Whip. I can see a white and blue box in the kitchen cupboard ... heck, my mom may still have that box in her cupboard now!

This thread has been fun to read and brought back fond memories of family gatherings as a kid in the '70s. There are some recipes that I am going to try now.

I'm STILL laughing over your last comment....too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I could never see the point of vegetables in Jello. One is a side dish and one is dessert. Fruit in Jello, Yes!!

That spam salad sounds good but if someone suggests spam in jello I am going to lose my lunch!!

My mother always used to make a lime jello with shredded cabbage, carrots and chopped apples in one of those amber colored (8x8) covered "refrigerator dishes" as they used to call them back then...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    Just for discussion's sake.....you refer to 70's salad recipes. How many remember "Watergate Salad"? I still make that at least once a summer. Would have to look up the exact measurements but ingredients are pistachio pudding, cool whip, mini marshmallows, crushed pineapple and nuts....... and I wonder why I'm not losing weight.
    I loved that salad , I am going to have to make some... Wow how I could forget this one!

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post

I can't stop laughing about this comment.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    The beets brought to mind, when my girls were little, I fixed lots of mac and cheese. Dh and I loved harvered beets. The beet juice would run into the mac and cheese and made it pink. They hated this, we finally bought some divided plates! One of them still does not like her food touching another!

My mom made both of the carrot salads-----one was just finely shredded carrots, raisins and mayonnaise. The other was lemon jello (I prefer orange) with shredded carrots and crushed pineapple. My MIL put finely chopped apple in both of these on occasion. Both topped the Jello salad with a spoonful of something white...mayo, sour cream, or cool whip.

Question: My mom made a lime jello salad that had mini-marshmallows and shredded cheese put in while the jello was still hot, then when it cooled she added whipped cream from a can, crushed pineapple and some chopped pecans. And maybe another ingredient or two... Anybody have this recipe? I'd love to share it with my brand new DIL since it was my son's favorite as a kid.
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

I think that here in Scotland we made beetroot salad with lemon jelly and carrot in a lime jelly.
    I have relatives in Canada and the recipes may have come from there.
    Liz Fairlie

Blog Entries
    thanks for the idea for jello in a can

Quote Originally Posted by GladGrams View Post
    An old favorite for gals lunches. Drain a can of pineapple slices and save the juice. Let the pineapple slices remain in the can. Prepare any kind of jello you prefer, I used lime, replace water with the pineapple juice and pour over the pineapple slices. I also used less fluid when mixing the jello so it would be more solid. Refrigerate. When ready to serve simply dump out the can and slice between the pineapple slice. Place on lettuce leaf or whatever you choose - garnish and serve. I have used this as both a salad or w/o the lettuce garnished as a dessert topped with toasted coconut and a maraschino cherry.
    ♥ Craftybear♥ Google Goddess Surfing Queen of Links ♥
    http://quiltingforbeginners.blogspot.com/
    http://quiltinglibraryworldwide.blogspot.com/

Have to believe it was a generational thing. In the 50's, jello must have been the greatest invention since sliced bread to my mother. I remember some combinations like shredded carrots and fruit together in jello. Maybe referred to as "Aspic". Sometimes mayonnaise spread on top of these so-called molded creations. I HATED it. Don't remember raw veggies used in much of anything back then. The occasional relish tray of pickles, olives, carrots and celery. A simple tossed salad. Coleslaw that I'd gag on. Sometimes a leaf or two of iceberg lettuce with a slice of tomato on it. No doubt there wasn't the abundance and choice you'd find in a grocery now.

The jellied pineapple slices in a can was something we always looked forwa5d to at my Aunt's home! Sometimes, she'd even put cherries right in with the slices. And now it's pretty much a tradition when the cousins get together.

Tomato Aspic ... here's a recipe that I found online similar to what my Mom made. I know she used tomato juice, and lemon jello, along with chopped celery. I never cared for it ... though maybe with age, I now would?

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Salad/tomatoaspic.htm

It must be good, if it has Betty Crocker's name on it! Right?
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

My mom used to put fruit cocktail, into the jello. I HATED that! Didn't mind the fruit cocktail OR the jello; just hated them together.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I love my Grandma's summer salad of chopped iceberg lettuce, 1 can drained crushed pineapple, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and just plain old mayo as a dressing...so good with pork chops.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast