Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Salads from the 1970 >

Salads from the 1970

Salads from the 1970

Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM

Oh, Look what I just found: http://recipecurio.com/perfection-salad/ The recipe won a sewing machine for the woman who created it! It's a little earlier than the 1970's - LOL! But we were still eating it then.

Last edited by Rose_P; 07-03-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 PM

It was Dream Whip---I still use it when I make Icing for flowers (on a cake).
Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 AM

vintage recipes...cool site
Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Oh, Look what I just found: http://recipecurio.com/perfection-salad/ The recipe won a sewing machine for the woman who created it! It's a little earlier than the 1970's - LOL! But we were still eating it then.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 PM

For those of you Kindle readers and old timely recipe appreciators. There is a free download of a cookbook of sorts "Things My Mother Used to Make". Not real helpful for today's world but interesting nonetheless. Took a lot more effort putting food on the table but yet it certainly was simplier times. Just the other day I was at the local Wal-Mart Super Store and believe there is an entire freezer aisle of frozen pizzas. Who really needs all that?!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:58 PM

My mother made a tomato aspic salad--with celery and tiny shrimp. Also Waldorf salad, which I still like. We ate jello too. At Christmas it was a red jello with chopped cranberries and other ingredients.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 AM

This has been an interesting thread, brought back some memories. I couldn't stand the jello with carrots that my mom made, like most of you said fruit & veggies don't seem to go together. I was so happy when she stopped with the carrots and started using fruit pieces. We always had jello in the house back then, used in some way for each dessert. I rarely buy it now and when I do my girls think it's a special treat.
Mom also ate a lettuce leaf with cottage cheese and a peach or pear half on top for lunch most of the time. She would always try to get me to try it, but I couldn't stand cottage cheese and still don't like it.
She also made Waldorf salad a lot, with the apples, celery & dressing in it. I would love to make one now that I'm thinking about it, I remember loving it so much. I'd forgotten about these salads from the 70's when I was a little girl, I think I'll look up some of the old recipes online as mom has been gone 25 years now.
Thanks to those of you who are sharing your recipes on here.