Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Spam or Scrapple (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/spam-scrapple-t213074.html)

Bueniebabe 02-11-2013 05:25 PM

I'm from northeast Iowa we call scrapple head cheese because it comes from the head of a pig.
I do not like it or spam.

Bearpawquilter 02-17-2013 12:12 AM

Does anyone know of a product called Taylor's Ham? It was a roll about 4"thick and with a cloth covering that you cut off. We used to get it in New Jersey when I was a kid. Do they still make it?

tiggertoobouncy 02-18-2013 04:36 PM

I love me some scrapple!

NwadMartin5 02-21-2021 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bearpawquilter (Post 5866941)
Does anyone know of a product called Taylor's Ham? It was a roll about 4"thick and with a cloth covering that you cut off. We used to get it in New Jersey when I was a kid. Do they still make it?

It is still available. You can order online at jerseyporkroll.com. I can even buy it here at my local grocery store Kroger in VA.

Onebyone 02-21-2021 09:15 AM

Does anyone know of a product called Taylor's Ham?

My husband grew up in NJ and loves Taylor's Ham. We have it sent to us from a deli in his home town. It's delicious. I always fry it.

I watched a documentary how Spam was made. It's all pork butt (butt is not the pig's behind). No waste meat at all. It's pressed in the can to make it firm. We like it sliced thin and fried crispy. It's great for hot sandwiches. I think the original is too salty but the 25% less sodium version is just right. I get 13 thin sliced pieces from one can. I use a cheese slicer to get even slices.

tropit 02-21-2021 12:40 PM

I spent my teens and 20s in Hawaii, so I know all about Spam. They eat it with everything! Spam Saimin, Spam Burgers, Spam and Rice, Spam and Eggs. Sometimes I miss it, but I don't buy it anymore. I don't know why. Maybe I'll buy some when I go to town.

Scrapple is something that my dear Grandmother used to make for me as a treat when I stayed with her. Most of the time, she would use left over roast pork in it, but sometimes she would make it with spicy, pork sausage. I'd slather it in butter and maple syrup. So good! I don't eat scrapple anymore either. Hummm....maybe I'll buy the fixings for that too when I go to town. :)

janiebakes 02-22-2021 08:14 AM

There is a Spam museum in Austin MN. No admission charge. Sounds funny but there are great displays on the part Spam played in WWll as well as many different cultures. Worth a stop.

mopec 02-22-2021 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by girliegirl (Post 5841147)
I went over my girlfriend's house and she made me eat Spam.... and I liked it! lol..... I can not believe all the recipes they have for spam..........

So I told her that she has to try Scrapple.. I only eat Scrapple on way... thin sliced and crispy.... my cousin just slices it off and eats it on bread like meatloaf... She says it is cooked but I am not sure about that!!! it just doesn't look good... lol

I have made sausage scrapple for over fifty years. Love it. Either fry or bake in oven then butter and syrup. My son in law grew up with turkey scrapple but that doesn't sound good to me because I prefer more flavor. It can be rolled in crushed corn flakes before frying, but I usually just fry it plain in either butter or canola oil. Now I'm craving srapple!

seazteddy 04-16-2021 01:45 AM

spam/scapple

I love thin sliced crispy scrapple from Philadelphia. I try not think what all is in it.

Spam is another question, I spent a summer eating spam for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Can't look at it now. spam and eggs, spam and spaghetti, spam sandwiches spam salad,

WMUTeach 04-16-2021 02:38 AM

I like Spam. My favorite way is fried and put in a sandwich with mustard. Don't have it often but when I do it is a pleasure. Guess I would say it is on list of comfort foods. I know Spam has its pros and lots of folks despise it but it part of our American cultural history of hard times and making do with minimum cost. Lots of mid-west Spam recopies available. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/wink.png

I made scrapple once and liked it but lost the recipe. It was long ago and from the county extension service among a program to feed a family on a shoestring.