Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   What main dish do you take to potlucks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/what-main-dish-do-you-take-potlucks-t131129.html)

Great-great granny 06-18-2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by running1
Good old homemade macaroni and cheese... I got the recipe from Southern Living magazine maybe 30 years ago... I double the recipe and freeze an 8 x 8 aluminum pan for when I need to take food to someone:

8 oz macaroni, cooked and drained
Add: 2 c. cottage cheese
8 oz. sour cream
1 egg, slightly beaten
3/4 t. salt
2 c. sharp cheddar cheese (or a little more of any cheese)

Mix; place mixture in a slightly greased 8 x 8 or 8 x 11 pan. Sprinkle the top with paprika and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

You'll get raves for this one!!

Sounds DELICIOUS - would also be good if you add some left over ham - cut in cubes.

irishrose 06-18-2011 08:44 PM

I used
1/2 of a pork loin roast
1 pgk taco seasoning - mine is low sodium
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup salsa
I added an onion and some garlic powder - neither was in the recipe. I probably added some Ortega taco sauce, too.

Cook 4 or 5 hours in the crockpot. The recipe called for a can of refried beans added at this point, but I didn't bother. You can serve it just as meat dish, or a sandwich filling for buns or tortillas.

Pegleg 06-19-2011 05:48 AM

Someone brought this to a retreat and it was extremely good and super easy.

In your crockpot place a bag of frozen meatballs. Add a large can of drained pineapple chunks, a jar of maraschino cherries, one each of sliced red and green bell peppers and a sliced onion. Top the whole thig with a jar of sweet and sour sauce.
Set on low and it should be ready to eat in about 3 hours. It is really good served over white rice. The rice can be made and then transferred to another crockpot to stay warm.

quilter in the making 06-19-2011 06:27 AM

Here is the absolutely most delicious Italian Beef recipe called Monica's Italian Beef Recipe. I have no clue who Monica is, but found this recipe by internet search about five years ago and it's the only Italian Beef recipe I use anymore. In fact, I doubled this recipe in my extra large crock pot yesterday to have ready today since the kids weren't sure what time they'd be here. This way it's ready whenever. I make it with the beer and instead of the peppers I use a bottle of mild Giardiniera. I prefer the hot Giardiniera, but that is too spicy for the family.

Ingredients:

1 (3 to 4 1/2 lbs) beef roast, trimmed (chuck works
great)
1 can (12 ounces) beer (you choose the flavor), or use
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 envelope dry Italian salad dressing mix
1 12-oz. jar Pepperoncini peppers, with the liquid
Hard Rolls, Bulkie Rolls, French Bread, etc.

Preparation:
Pour beer into crock pot. Drain liquid from pepperoncini into crockpot. Stir in the salad dressing mix until well-blended. Place about half of the peppers in the crockpot. Trim fat from the roast; place in crock pot on top of peppers. Top roast with remaining peppers. Cook Italian beef on low 8 to 10 hours Remove cooked roast from crockpot; cool slightly. While still warm, pull roast with two forks to shred. To serve, ladle small amount of warm liquid from crock over split roll or bread, top with shredded beef, then follow with more beef liquid as desired.

Serves 12 to 16

Serve with forks and a stack of napkins.

thimblebug6000 06-23-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pegleg
Someone brought this to a retreat and it was extremely good and super easy.

In your crockpot place a bag of frozen meatballs. Add a large can of drained pineapple chunks, a jar of maraschino cherries, one each of sliced red and green bell peppers and a sliced onion. Top the whole thig with a jar of sweet and sour sauce.
Set on low and it should be ready to eat in about 3 hours. It is really good served over white rice. The rice can be made and then transferred to another crockpot to stay warm.

This sounds so good, I went and bought some frozen meatballs, I wonder are they supposed to be uncooked though? And I wonder about the approx. size of the bag? It seemed so simple until I got into the store, thanks!

np3 06-23-2011 01:41 PM

The slow cooker will cook the raw meatballs and won't hurt the ones that are already cooked. The beauty of the slow cooker is that you can make any size you want, as long as it all fits inside with room at the top.

overdew 06-24-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by running1
Good old homemade macaroni and cheese... I got the recipe from Southern Living magazine maybe 30 years ago... I double the recipe and freeze an 8 x 8 aluminum pan for when I need to take food to someone:

8 oz macaroni, cooked and drained
Add: 2 c. cottage cheese
8 oz. sour cream
1 egg, slightly beaten
3/4 t. salt
2 c. sharp cheddar cheese (or a little more of any cheese)

Mix; place mixture in a slightly greased 8 x 8 or 8 x 11 pan. Sprinkle the top with paprika and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

You'll get raves for this one!!

I gained belly fat reading it! LOL

darleneerickson 06-24-2011 08:34 PM

small curd or large curd cottage cheese?