Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
A Question for all the Jam makers out there >

A Question for all the Jam makers out there

A Question for all the Jam makers out there

Old 09-04-2010, 11:14 AM

I just found some strawberry jam that my MIL made before she died 4 years ago. I thought we had eaten all her jams a long time ago, but keep finding more. I was wondering if this jam would still be good. I know that she always sterilized the jars and she put some kind of wax covering over the jam in a sealed jar. Would hate to throw this out if it is still good, but don't want to get the kids sick if its not.
Brooke
Old 09-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
I just found some strawberry jam that my MIL made before she died 4 years ago. I thought we had eaten all her jams a long time ago, but keep finding more. I was wondering if this jam would still be good. I know that she always sterilized the jars and she put some kind of wax covering over the jam in a sealed jar. Would hate to throw this out if it is still good, but don't want to get the kids sick if its not.
Brooke
I have always used the 7 year rule of thumb, but I also know that I have had and ate jams that were even older than 7 years as long as the seals were still holding especially if they had the wax seal on top of the jam too.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:32 PM

As long as it is sealed, it should be fine for 4 years. Save it for toast on Christmas Day so she can be with you for the holiday.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:52 AM

The parrafin (wax) is used as a preservative coating. As others have said, as long as it is still sealed, the jam is good and will be as delicious as if freshly made. Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:11 AM

Just open it.... if the seal wasn't broken, or if the person used wax and it was still sealed tight and you don't see sign of mold, it is most likely safe to eat. I've open some a few months old and tossed it because of the seal was broken and there was signs of mold (which will only grow if the seal is broken) and I have opened some six years old and it was fine to eat.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I agree, just see if its still sealed, and look for signs of mold! Should be fine!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

I love the idea of eating Christmas morning. So sentimental.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Yes to all the other posts. As long as it is sealed, and there is no sign of spoilage, it is safe to eat. You may just notice that the sugars tend to crystallize over time, so some jams can become a little grainy.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:58 PM

I'm not too sure on this one. I am a regular "jammer" and don't keep anything past a season. There will also be a HUGE loss of flavor and texture in any product that old.

Just the way Campbell's soup is canned in a sterile container under optimum conditions there is still an expiration date on the can.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by kathome
I'm not too sure on this one. I am a regular "jammer" and don't keep anything past a season. There will also be a HUGE loss of flavor and texture in any product that old.

Just the way Campbell's soup is canned in a sterile container under optimum conditions there is still an expiration date on the can.
absolutly agree with you! I'm a jammer/canner and I would not try the jam if it has been over l year. It may look and smell good but that's the problem the hidden enzimes that cause salmanella and such. You really don't want to get sick! It really isn't worth it. Trust me.