Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: recipes with "odd" ingredients

Oops ... one more. This one is my own creation (as far as I know as I've never seen it before)

Raspberry, Walnut and Green Olive salad
    Dressing
    3 parts oil to 1 part Raspberry vinegar
    Finely chopped walnuts
    Salt (to taste)
    Pinch of sugar

Salad
    Mixed greens
    Chopped walnuts
    Chopped Green Pimento Olives
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I have made the mock apple pie many times. It uses Ritz crackers instead of apples, spiced and cooked. Sounds yucky but you would swear it was apple pie. A fun thing for April Fools Day.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Can't imagine the pork and beans bars, or the sauerkraut cake ... but I'll try (almost) anything once.

I have two recipe's with odd ingredients.

Fire & Ice Salsa
    Watermelon - small cubes, de-seeded
    1 (or 1/2) Habanera pepper - cleaned of seeds and finely chopped (suggest using latex gloves to do this!)
    tablespoon of finely chopped Cilantro
    Combine and chill. Serve like any salsa with chips.

The other I don't have the actual recipe, but I remember Mom making a "Mock" Apple Pie as a kid. It used potato chips, no apples. It might have had apple sauce though.

Oh ... another that I've enjoyed in Thai restaurants many times and have no clue how to make is a soup that is made from Coconut milk, lemon juice, mushrooms and green onions. Delish!!!
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

My mom used to make mock apple pie with ritz crackers too.....I had forgotten about that one it really tasted amazingly good.

The fire and ice salsa looks really good I'm going to try that one for sure.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Blog Entries
    My mum also made the mock apple pie, as a child I liked it better than apple pie.

She also made glazed corned beef that had canned pineapple and cola (or it might have been ginger ale) poured over it. It was supposed to taste like ham, don't know why she just didn't make ham! In those days (sixties) it seems like the whole point was to use the strange ingredients rather than thinking about how it would taste.

There also used to be recipes for cakes made with tomato soup and with mayonnaise.

I have made the mock apple pie. I also have the Mashed Potato Spice Cake, Mashed Potato candy and my DGM's red corn cob jelly.

I've had the pie with ritz crackers ... but my mother made a different one with potato chips.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by lorli View Post
    My mum also made the mock apple pie, as a child I liked it better than apple pie.

She also made glazed corned beef that had canned pineapple and cola (or it might have been ginger ale) poured over it. It was supposed to taste like ham, don't know why she just didn't make ham! In those days (sixties) it seems like the whole point was to use the strange ingredients rather than thinking about how it would taste.

There also used to be recipes for cakes made with tomato soup and with mayonnaise.

I forgot about the tomato soup, she made that and the mayo cake.....I didn't think of the mayonnaise cake as odd ingredients as its major roll was to replace the oil and eggs, it made a very moist cake.
    Billi

That first Recipe has waaaaay too much sugar in it. (Pineappe has sugar in it too). Better warn the diabetics. Seriously. No thanks.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I have a recipe for Pinto Bean Pie that won me a trophy at a pinto bean cookoff many years ago. It's very similar to chocolate pie.

I've also made Mock Coconut Pie using spaghetti squash instead of coconut. You couldn't tell the difference from the real thing.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMama View Post
    I have a recipe for Pinto Bean Pie that won me a trophy at a pinto bean cookoff many years ago. It's very similar to chocolate pie.

I've also made Mock Coconut Pie using spaghetti squash instead of coconut. You couldn't tell the difference from the real thing.
    Those sound fun too care to share them?
    Billi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast