Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Spam or Scrapple

I found these .....scrapple sculptures
    and a bumper sticker
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Wow, I remember scrapple from my childhood days in MD. Had forgotten all about it!

Blog Entries
    In our College days we ate it, but I dipped the slices in beaten egg and then in cracker crumbs and then fried it. It was pretty good if I remember right. Never had it since.ha-SPAM, that is.
    Last edited by barny; 02-06-2013 at 02:26 PM.

We bought a house in Kauai and my son moved there. We learned how to make musubi, which is spam and rice "logs" wrapped in Nori seaweed. It is kind of a guilty pleasrure...
    A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

“As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same”
    ~ Nelson Mandela

Homemade scrapple

This is a scaled down version that I make at home. I've made it with broth made from a pig's head, assorted meaty pork bones and even from a roast turkey carcass.

5 cups pork or turkey broth
    2 cups. (approx.) cooked pork or turkey meat, ground or finely chopped
    2 t. salt
    1 t. black pepper or more to taste
    2 t. ground sage
    1/2 t. marjoram
    1 T. dried minced onion (for turkey)
    1-1/2 cups cornmeal

I usually make this from leftovers, either a bone-in pork roast, like a picnic shoulder, or from a turkey carcass. for that authentic Delaware taste, you might want to use a pork heart or a bit of pork liver as part of your meat.

Simmer ingredients, except cornmeal, together in heavy bottomed pot until onion is tender. Bring to a boil. If you are using pork, I like to leave a thin layer, 1/8" or so, of fat on the broth to help it fry better. Moisten cornmeal with just enough cold water to make it feel like wet sand. Add moistened cornmeal to the boiling broth. Turn heat down and stir continuously for 'a long time'. Be careful, the mixture will be like boiling lava, and it can splatter and burn the unsuspecting. You want the mixture to start to pull away from the sides of the pan. Pour into ungreased loaf pans and let cool overnight. To serve, cut into slices and fry in oil until crisp. You can either slice this thick or thin If sliced thin, the whole thing will be crisp. If thick, there will be a crisp outside crust with a creamy moist inside.

This will make 2 loaf pans worth. It can be sliced and frozen, though you'll want to pat it dry with paper towels before frying it.

BTW: I am not the I above. I have never made it but someday......
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Years ago I used Spam all the time in a dish called Spam Goulash made with onions, bell peppers, and a tomato sauce then served over rice. My folks fed us Spam all the time. Not a fan of scrapple, but my folks made it.

mltquilt

Love scrapple. In fact Dh is cooking some up right now. I would be careful eating it raw. It says on the package to cook it 8-10 minutes without turning and then turn to brown. Since it has a lot of pig parts in it I'd sure want to make sure it's cooked well. I remember Spam from the war. (showing my age now) i don't eat it anymore. It seems fatty to me.

My sister used to make the best yellow rice with corn and little spam cubes. It was always perfect. Would have love to have gotten the recipe but she died unexpectedly a few years ago. Miss her still.

My German grandmother in Cincinnati used to make Goetta. Very similar to scrapple but made with steel cut oats.
    Slice thin and fry.
    Liked Spam as a kid but watch what I eat now.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Blog Entries
    Love spam. When we were kids mom use to fry it and put potatoes or on a sandwich. yummmmm I have not had that is years. I am going to see what Scrapple is.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast