Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Spam or Scrapple >

Spam or Scrapple

Spam or Scrapple

Old 04-16-2021, 05:34 PM

I crave spam every once in a while. My Grandpa used to make us breakfast with very nummy home made waffles, and spam, and fresh peaches and cream for dessert, and..wait for it....cookies for second dessert. umm, maybe that is why I am round. really though, those waffles were the best, made with butter and buttermilk. My grandma and mother used to make lots of canned sauces, rhubarb, raspberry, blueberry, apple butter which we would use often on the waffles. So he would just slice it thin and fry it crispy. (the spam that is) Oh...and my mom would make "bumsters" out of spam. Grind the spam with an equal amount of cheese, add a little onion and mustard, spread on half a hamburger bun and place under the broiler until the cheese was melted and slightly browned. We had those a lot for birthday parties, and family get togethers.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:36 PM

That scrapple recipe actually sounds pretty good, but I wouldn't be able to eat it because I'm keto. I love SPAM, especially the Black Pepper flavor.

I like it cut up small and browned really well in scrambled eggs, or sliced thin and used like lunchmeat in a lettuce wrap or in place of bacon bits on a green salad or in cooked green beans.

I ate a SPAM salad once which was similar to chicken salad - apples, celery, dried cranberries, mayo... it was really good, but that's not keto, either.

My husband can't stand the stuff and that crazy dude ate snake in SEER school. He says, "You'll eat it too if you're ever hungry enough!"

Well, I have a pretty good stock of SPAM in the prepper pantry - if he ever gets hungry enough...
Old 04-18-2021, 05:25 AM

I’m from York, PA (originally) and scrapple was a very known item, but I have t had it in many years. I need to give it another try whenever I get back up to York. But - I love Spam!!!! I always have it on hand and just thinking now makes me hungry. I think,people,who don’t like it probably have never had it. It has had a bad reputation and I just don’t know why. It doesn’t include anything yucky at all - just pork and ham. I fry it up in a skillet but I know there are lots of other ways to use it,

GO!!! SPAM!!!!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 04-18-2021, 07:10 AM

there is a black pepper spam? Hmmm. my third husband introduced me to spam. Never heard of scrapple though.