Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The tomato sauce that goes over stuffed peppers

The sauce that we usually put over stuffed peppers is called avar. However, I am not sure of the spelling, that's how it is said. It is made from peppers and you can get a hot one or a sweet one and it is much better than tomato sauce for my taste.
    Last edited by jitkaau; 08-31-2013 at 03:57 AM.

I use tomato soup

I use part of a jar of Bertolli spaghetti sauce in my rice/meat mixture and some more on top after they are stuffed.

Spaghetti sauce for me--marinara, or even pizza sauce. I've never had a taste for plain tomato sauce--don't like to order spaghetti dinners at restaurants because that's what I seem to get so often! At least that's what I taste. Incidentally, I can my own spaghetti/pizza sauce and use for all sorts of dishes.

Progresso makes a tomato basil soup that is wonderful over stuffed peppers and so easy too. Or a tomato bisque soup is another good one.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried one of the canned pizza sauces. That's what I use but I also make my own stuffed bell peppers. When I use jalapenos in my stuffed peppers, I use a picante sauce. If you need to thicken it up just use a tomato past that's in the tube. It's much thicker . The last couple minutes in the oven I top with cheese slices or even after pulling them out of the oven, I'll top with cheese.

Blog Entries
    What spices do you put in the stuffing. I am looking for a different recipe. I also get heartburn from green peppers. I finally convinced my DH to grow other colors of peppers. All of the colored peppers don't bother my stomach

I use one can of stewed tomatoes, seasoned, and one can of tomato soup, the soup adds body and seems to smoothe out the sauce, taste wise and texture wise.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I've never tried to make them, does anyone have a good 'Tried and True' recipe for Stuffed Peppers. My DH's mom used to make them for him and I know he'd love to have them again.

I always make loads of spaghetti sauce, and put a few small containers in the freezer for other uses (like a green bean casserole that I make, stuffed peppers, etc). Love stuffed peppers, but DH gets major acid reflux, so I have to save a dinner like that for when he's out of town on business...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast