Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   The tomato sauce that goes over stuffed peppers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/tomato-sauce-goes-over-stuffed-peppers-t229080.html)

Barbara Wade 08-30-2013 10:20 AM

The tomato sauce that goes over stuffed peppers

I buy stoffers stuffed bell peppers as I cant make the sauce that goes over the peppers....Tomatoe sauce just don't cut it.... Does anyone have any suggestions for a sauce if I make my own stuffed peppers? Thanks.

DogHouseMom 08-30-2013 10:38 AM

Yup!!

I use one can of tomato sauce and one can of crushed tomato.

I put all of my spices in the meat/rice mixture, stuff each pepper and cram into a roasting pan, cover all of it with the tomato sauce and then crushed tomato, cover and bake 250 for at least 1 hour.

chips88 08-30-2013 11:09 AM

thats how i make mine too doghousemom. very tasty dish. i love it. now that we cleared that up. i will be making some soon. i just love it..

QuiltE 08-30-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 6264322)
Yup!!

I use one can of tomato sauce and one can of crushed tomato.

I put all of my spices in the meat/rice mixture, stuff each pepper and cram into a roasting pan, cover all of it with the tomato sauce and then crushed tomato, cover and bake 250 for at least 1 hour.

And for me ... would you please cook up lots of onions and spread those on top before you add the sauces?

Can you believe it ... I detest raw onions, but love them cooked!

DogHouseMom 08-30-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6264566)
And for me ... would you please cook up lots of onions and spread those on top before you add the sauces?

Can you believe it ... I detest raw onions, but love them cooked!

QuiltE ... gotcha covered ... I dice onions and the tops of the peppers and add them to the meat/rice stuffing, along with spices.

suern3 08-30-2013 03:05 PM

We pour an undiluted can of tomato soup over our stuffed peppers.

DogHouseMom 08-30-2013 03:06 PM

BTW ... a nice alternative to the usual stuffed peppers .... instead of ground beef, use cooked chicken (I use Swanson white meat chicken in the can). It doesn't stay "packed" like the beef does, but I love the flavor. Naturally I use different spices when I make it with chicken than when I make with beef.

Pinkiris 08-30-2013 03:27 PM

I use a can of undiluted tomato soup also. That's how my MIL taught me to make it. My husband won't eat the peppers, but he loves the meat cooked with them. So I have to make extra meatballs and stick in the pot!

nanacc 08-30-2013 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 6264767)
We pour an undiluted can of tomato soup over our stuffed peppers.

Ditto! Sometimes I use taco seasoning in meat mixture and a little in the soup for a little extra kick.

misspriss 08-31-2013 01:17 AM

I like the taste of the meat also, the peppers give heart burn. I use the sauce and canned diced tomatoes too, and scalloped potatoes a must.