Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   The tomato sauce that goes over stuffed peppers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/tomato-sauce-goes-over-stuffed-peppers-t229080.html)

aronel 08-31-2013 09:36 AM

I use tomato soup with a tablespoon of horseradish in it. Yum!!

penski 08-31-2013 12:33 PM

i use a large can of tomato juice for mine

DaylilyDawn 08-31-2013 04:33 PM

I start my sauce by sauteing , chopped onion, chopped green pepper tops, and one rib of celery chopped fine. Then I put canned tomatoes and tomato paste along with a little oregano and basil, and salt and pepper to taste. I let that simmer while I get the meat mixture ready and the peppers ready to be stuffed.

dgeskine 08-31-2013 05:21 PM

Daylily Dawn has bout the same thing I would use, except I might not add the oregano; depends on if you want that
"spaghetti" sauce flavor. The basil makes a world of difference in sauces made with tomatoes; I use it in creole sauces and fish courtboullion, too. Simmering for a long time enhances the flavor. Good luck.

Edie 09-01-2013 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 6264767)
We pour an undiluted can of tomato soup over our stuffed peppers.

That's the way I do it too.l And I also use Rice A Roni - Spanish Rice mix and use that with the hamburger. I made a lot during the fall and then freeze it in disposable aluminum 8x8 pans. Oh, that sounds so good right now. Have a good day. Edie

Amythyst02 09-01-2013 06:40 AM

I make these once a year for my hubby's birthday, along with stuffed cabbage. I use red bell peppers because they are sweeter. I also use spaghetti sauce in the meat mixture and top the bell peppers with it. Then I add grated cheese to melt and they are ohhhh so good. Hubby's just love them.

Caroline S 09-01-2013 07:16 AM

When all else fails or I am out of sauces etc, I use ketsup.

kay carlson 09-01-2013 12:31 PM

Interesting posting and lots of contributions. Thanks :) I made my version of Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole from a recipe I had found on Facebook. Extra lean ground beef, garlic, chopped onion and green pepper, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, celery seed, parsley, chopped cabbage --- but needed more help on the spices. Hubby and I were at a loss. I think I will add taco seasoning when I heat up the "planned overs." I made an extra large batch so I could freeze some homemade convenience food.

We served the veggie/meat mixture over brown rice. DH told me that it was a good recipe. If he likes it, I know it's a definite keeper......

dorismae904 09-01-2013 01:26 PM

Roast the cleaned peppers in a 400 oven for about 15-20 minutes before you stuff them.

tjbeaver 09-01-2013 03:32 PM

I saute diced tomatoes without juice, onion and celery...let it simmer...add juice back in as needed...season with whatever spice you like...simmer some more...pour over peppers like a gravy...