View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 AM
judymart

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I saw a great idea on a quilt show, though can't remember which one. Start with white tulle and something to attach it to. I've used a picture mat and duct taped the tulle to it, but now I use an embroidery hoop cause it's easier and faster, but you have to use the hoop upside down so the tulle lays flat on the stencil. Trace the design onto the tulle with a permanent marker (you can see through the holes in the tulle). Then put the tulle, still attached to mat or hoop, onto the quilt and follow the lines using your chalk pencil. The chalk rubs through the holes and makes an unbroken line for a pattern. Tulle is cheap and you can reuse it. I store mine folded in a plastic sleeve and keep them in a binder. I put the original paper pattern on top the tulle in the sleeve so that I can easily find the pattern I want. It's a pretty good system.
I know this trick too. Suggestion...after tracing the pattern onto the tule with a permanent marker, iron the tule to set the ink so it doesn't come off on the fabric. I then save my tule to reuse the same pattern again later.

Instead of chalk (which can gum up your machine if you machine quilt), Crayola has new washable fine tip pens. I used them on my last quilt and they washed out great. Used cold water even though it said to use hot/warm. They come in the 8 major Crayola colors too! Great for dark and light colored fabric. I found mine at Joanne's but I recently saw them at Walmart in the office/school supplies aisle.