View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 04:54 PM
stevendebbie25

I strongly suggest good reference books, learning DVDs, and taking local classes especially hands on learning.
Check your local library, they usually have plenty to get you started.

Then I have collected several Beginner Basic's books, and found a few to become my favorites, so here they are:

"Quilting, the basics and beyond" by Jeri Simon includes a DVD.
"200 Quilting tips, techniques, and trade secrets" by Susan Briscoe
"Tips for Quilters, a handbook of hints, shortcuts, and practical suggestions from experienced quilters" by Rachel T Pellman
My newest is "The Quilter's Catalog, a comprehensive resource guide" by Cox

I happened to join Crafters Choice, getting great discounts on books. I also watch Ebay for books & DVDs. I always buy from classes I take, especially Natl. Teachers. Elenor Burns has fun DVDs & I buy her book with each, and often there are rulers to go with the book/DVD.

If you watch on Ebay also, I've bought NEW tools, rulers, rotary cutters, and fabric's...and saved quite a lot. Watch for 100%sellers and free shipping, or note the shippng cost in your bids. Have shopped around to know your bidding is reasonable or you could buy locally & save. I always use paypal only.

And then sign up for the sales flyer through JoAnn fabrics, those 40% come in handy, I've bought larger purchases like my tall cutting table with drop leaf sides, iron, lights, large yds of fabric, quilt books, cutting mats, things that are going to cost, I wait for coupons. Good tools, and the right tools and working station makes your quilting project enjoyable and not frustrating.

Often local quilt shops offering classes, will offer the fabric, pattern & any special tools/rulers on sale for the class. Make sure as a newbie, you only take on a "Beginner" level class until your comfortable with your skills, then move to Intermediate level projects.

Join a quilt guild, quilters tend to be very helpful and friendly, our local guilds are $15 & $20/yr dues, meet once a month. They usually offer a sample project lesson. Participate with your projects proudly in a show & tell or trunk show or local quilt show.

And don't be afraid to post a question, we're here to help as best we can via internet and not being there beside you.
Quilting is a wonderful skill, fun hobby, and should be relaxing and enjoyable.

If your just returning to quilting, needing inspiration and encouragement, find a project that will be finished quicker. Like a wall hanging, baby quilt or lap quilt, table runner, or bed scarf. When you see a finished project, it's rewarding. When you have UFOs building up, you may tend to drop your quilting. Once your back into the swing of quilting, you'll find yourself picking up larger full size quilt projects. Then challenge yourself to grow with new techniques and patterns. Hope these things help you quilters. Debbie