View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Decoratenu

Not many would want a quilt hanging from the ceiling, unless it was a workshop or quilting studio. But that same frame can be fastened to modified saw-horse legs. One of our quilters remembers her mother's hung above the bed; she converted the hanging frame to one that is attached to 2 slender saw-horses (one at each end). Another inexpensive frame is using 2 rails made of 2x2 (square) lumber, long enough to accommodate the shortest length of your quilt -- plus another 12", then these can be put into 2 end pieces (frame) that have a slot cut for ea. rail to sit in & legs attached to the the bottoms for stability. It much simpler to make than it sounds. There are basic frame instructions on the web. I made mine about 5 yrs ago & it only cost about $50 for the lumber (I got red oak for strength) - I didn't stain it, but put on a clear sealer. It's got a LOT of years left in it & stores under my bed when not in use. Another inexpensive option is a PVC frame (Q-snap) when you can get one on sale or make your own. 4 people can get around the Q-Snap frame (1 each side), which is about 28" x 36" & stands about 30" high. Don't be discouraged -- there are inexpensive options.