View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM
quiltingnana1

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I would hate to embarrass someone or make anyone feel uncomfortable. Unlike business meetings, people come to a quilt guild to have fun and they can choose not to come again if they are made to feel uncomfortable or have negative attention called to them. If I went to a guild meeting and the speaker called my name or came to stand next to me if I was talking, I'd probably be so embarrassed I would not come back. At the first meeting, you could talk about the "problem" and ask for suggestions so that all the members feel they are a part of the solution. My aunt is a teacher and when her classroom would get noisy, she would turn out the light and when it got quiet, she'd turn it back on and continue talking. Maybe you could make a game out of it. Pass out numbered slips of paper and if someone is talking others could take their paper from them. At the end of the meeting, draw a number and whoever has the paper with that number on it would win a fat quarter or pattern. Just something to make it a fun reminder not to talk when someone else is talking.
Love the game idea. Do understand the disturbance that chatting can create... and I don't like it. Good luck.