Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM
quiltmaker101

Let me tell you about irons. They are all made in China. Even the Rowenta USA irons.

In the last 14 months, I have gone through 5 irons! Sunbeam, Black and Decker, they are all defective! I bought them based on customer reviews and other research.

I had recently raved in another post about my new Black and Decker iron, but within a month it started turning itself off while I ironed and not emptying during cleaning.

I am not careless with my irons. I don't let them fall, or fail to maintain them. I followed the instructions to a T and they let me down. It took over a month to get a replacement to the Black and Decker, and I have not even taken it out of the box yet.

Why? I realized that the only irons that are heavy enough, get hot enough and make enough steam are OLD irons. So I won a 1960s GE on Ebay and it is super hot. For the first time my ironing board looks like I use it. It has scorch marks from the heat. No scorches on my fabrics though! And no automatic shut off to aggravate me. I paid $1.99 plus shipping. What a deal!

No more pressing hard or over and over to get crisp, flat seams and points.

If you want a good iron, I recommend buying a "vintage" one before they are impossible to find.