View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Lilrain

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
Keep in mind, there are certain things that should not be put on a dimmer. Most fluorescent or arc-type light bulbs will blow if they're dimmed--and they could take the light fixture and/or the switch with them. They have to be specially designed for dimming. This also goes for three-way lamps; don't put a non-dimmable fluorescent bulb into a lamp with a three-way switch. At best, you'll have a burned-out light; at worst, you could have a fire on your hands.

Also, one-speed motors should never be put on a dimmer, or they'll burn out. Most sewing machines are variable-speed motors, so that's fine. The foot pedal is just a dimmer of sorts, after all. I do like the idea of putting a manual dimmer on the machine--it's especially useful for those with limited mobility or sensation in their feet.
This was one of the things I was wondering about. My husband is now deceased, but he was careful even about the length of extension cords because the longer they are the more power is diminished at the motor. I think it is a great idea if there is no risk of damaging my sewing machine motor