Old 10-22-2011, 03:46 AM
azwendyg

It's all about the process for me! I quilt because it's an enjoyable, soothing activity that gives me a creative outlet. I do sometimes pick quilt piecing designs that don't take too long when I'm making bed quilts on a deadline though. I started out this fall to make one quilt for my granddaughter for Christmas, and as other family members saw me working on it, I've gotten requests for 3 more. And we're talking bed-quilt-size here. So...I've been using designs with large pieces, and looking at them as an opportunity for FMQing creativity! I'm currently working on #3 of 4, and should finish in plenty of time. Regardless of the size of the blocks, I pay close attention to matching points, seams, etc. as I always want to do the best work possible and constantly improve my technique. That's a large part of what I enjoy about quilting.

After Christmas I'll be starting on my very own Thirteenth Fandago! I've got the fabrics all picked out and ready to go, and am looking forward to my first paper piecing project. It's been difficult to put it away and leave it alone while I get the Christmas quilts done, but gives me something to look forward to starting later.

I consider quilting an artistic pursuit, and wish I could work at it full-time like you do. But for now, I do it as time allows around a full-time career and other interests and commitments.