View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 04:37 AM
kerrytaylor

Originally Posted by irishphoenix
Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
Your quilt is gorgeous! I am hoping to do my next quilt (2nd one) fmq as well which I have yet to attempt and am feeling a little nervous about - yikes. How or where did you learn? And your son will love the quilt. If he doesn't want to wear it, I will.
Hi there Kerry, Well thats really nice of you.What worked for me is that I tried not to think of doing the quilt as a whole but concentrated on each section at a time-I found that really helped otherwise I would have got nervous about the finish. I didnt learn from anyone about quilting or even the FMQ but found this lady Patsy Thompson on youtube here is the link http://youtu.be/39I5A3iyCtw she has
a lot of tutorials for FMQ and I found them really helpful.
I found the best method was to do some quilt swatches and have fun..I just thought of it as drawing with a needle and making pretty patterns. Now my first quilt I did FMQ on the border in a loop de loop design and it didnt show too much..the threads were different sizes where I had gone too fast-some of them were really long :-) but I really think its like practice practice.Oh yes and I did a practice swatch before starting on ther quilt itself..that helped a bit and making sure to shrug my shoulders and relax cause I found I tightened up a bit when doing the curls!! I have so much to learn but everyone has been so encouraging and helpful on here- I have got an awful lot of information and tips from folk
Thank you for the link which I have bookmarked, certain I'll watch them many times. It is so intimidating but know practice will help. I don't even have my foot yet. Hope to find that today, I think once I sit down and play a bit, it will come together. This board is phenomenal in providing so much valuable help. Without all, yourself included, I wouldn't attempt. Thanks for your help and support.