Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by darlenedowns View Post
you can make all you want but when selling you would be selling a copyright without permission and that's where it gets real sticky. If you are making to sell before you even get started get that permission first. If answer is no don't take chances. However I do agree with you 100%, Its stupid of them not to let it happen cause it gets their design out into the world and would make more sense. But copyright is copyright for a good reason. Law is Law.
While I understand your logic, it's not accurate. You are not reproducing the fabric, you are using the original and you have every right to transfer ownership of that original to whomever and however you choose.

For instance, I can cut up a book and paste the pieces onto an art quilt with no copyright infringement issues. I cannot, however, scan the pages and print them onto muslin to use in the quilt without violating copyright laws. It's about the copying of the protected item, not the use of it.

Copyright laws grant protection against COPYING an item, not against transferring the original. The laws give the originator the sole RIGHT to COPY their own work, that's the limit of it. First sale doctrine applies after you have compensated the copyright holder for their work.