Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 AM
AshleyR

What if you had this fabric and made a baby quilt for me? And after my baby is older, I sell it at my yard sale? I think, like most people, we would never knowingly break the law.

I always thought that you basically bought the license when you purchased the item. If you buy a cd, you can make as many copies for your own use as you want to. Don't sell them! And you cannot legally keep the recordings if you sell the cd. But while it’s yours, you can keep a copy in your bedroom, in your living room, in your car, etc…. Same thing with books. I think you can xerox the book as much as you want to while you are the owner of it. If you sell the book, you cannot keep the copies. However, in a case like a recipe book, if you write down a recipe, you get to keep that.

I do not buy fabric from shops. I was going to add, “So this does not affect me”. But that would be incorrect. I do purchase tops with the intention of reselling quilts made of them. How am I to know if they have this warning on the selvage? But I am not going to concern myself with it until I have a reason to. I will if I ever get a Cease and Desist from Fabric, Inc’s attorneys. Until then, I will do as I want with what I have and what I will have and what I am lucky enough to sell.