Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 PM
MomtoBostonTerriers

A member of the Message Board asked me for directions to make my B&W quilt. I used the Cotton Theory method, which I know is not widely used, so I will delete that part of the directions. Using this guidance, you will be able to figure out how to make your own quilt top. (I've only made 6 quilts, so I know that the rest of you quilters are way beyond that.)

The quilt is queen size, approximately 82" x 94".

Each B&W block is 6" x 6" finished. Using a variety of B&W fabrics, cut 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" squares. Cut a total of 84 squares.

Cut side sashings from a variety of white-on-white fabrics. Each side sashing is 2 1/2" x 6 1/2". Cut a total of 84 side sashings.

Sew one side sashing to each B&W block. Sew 12 units together to make one row, arranging the B&W blocks to alternate with the white short sashings. Press seams away from short sashings. Make 7 long rows.

Cut long white sashings from a variety of white-on-white fabric. Cut long sashings 2" x 96". It's okay to piece these to form the long sashings. Cut a total of 14 long sashings.

Sew one long sashing to EACH side of the long rows. Press seams away from white long sashings. This results in 7 long rows with a white sashing on either side.

Cut long B&W sashings from the same fabric. Each long B&W sashing is 2" x 96". Cut 8 B&W sashings. (These can be pieced to make up the 96" length.)

Sew one B&W sashing to each side of the 7 long white rows. Join the rows together, alternating the B&W sashings. It is important to alternate the rows so that every other row starts with a short white side sashing. (This off-sets the rows so that it is less noticeable that the B&W blocks might not line up exactly!) Sew the last B&W sashing to the remaining outside row of the quilt so that the top and bottom of the quilt begin and end with a long B&W sashing.

Cut 2 1/2" bias binding from the same B&W fabric as the long B&W sashings. Need approximately 370" of binding.