Old 12-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Cosy

My daughter and I did a way cool thing for many years, she had been given a small rubber ball molded into a very ugly face at a gift exchange, being teased by some of her classmates...they gave it to her to be very hurtful, so we turned it into something fun. We traded that ball back and forth for Christmases and birthdays, always showing up in something unexpected: inside a purse, tied to the bow, folded into the sweater. The funniest was when we went together to a gift exchange, sure enough, she ended up with it! Not sure where it ended up, but it's been a while since I've seen it.

I am known as an avid reader. My sister had just graduated from college and was working at her first job; I was probably 15 or 16. I thought she was so sophisticated and grown up, so when I saw a box under the tree from her with my name on it it was really exciting. I thought I knew what was in it, something I really really wanted, and in the week before Christmas I eyed that box longingly. but when I opened it, it was a little baby's book. Not even a new one, or a classic. Just a dumb kid's book that had been laying around the house. I was so disappointed I cried! I didn't even really look at it, just said thank you nicely, and set it aside. Later Mom told me my sister had put a 5 dollar bill in it, and I should have been grateful even if it was just a dumb book, the five dollars got lost on the shuffle of wrapping papers and stuff, never did show up.