Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm >

Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Red face Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Over the years I've gotten some wonderful gifts from family & friends. Then came the new sister n' law. One year she re-gifted one of her wedding gifts. Can't remember what it was but DH agreed, she re-gifted. The next year she really put some thought into my gift and gave me a gift certificate. Who can't use a gift certificate. Well, I tried to use it. Store manager said it was a gift certificate for engraving only!!
Darn...she got me again. Glad she's moved on to another family.

What's the strangest gifts you've received, or given.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM

no stories personally, but my neighbors has a SIL who is from another culture/country and has different ideas about gift giving. Said neighbor usually offers to pass on these "gifts" to me if I want them. Such as, a box of Valentine chocolates, gifted in June.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM

Well ... My Mom is a fabulous knitter ... and for the last few years ... I have strongley hinted ..that I would really like a hand knit sweater( all my other siblings have gotten them) . Well my one sibling announced she would knit me a sweater. That year for Christmas I opened the box and it really looked fabulous... till I lifted it out of the box... Its only 8 inches long and the front is about 30 inches wide. It's not long enough to cover ...well what really should be covered.
I have an appreciation for the effort , but it still is baffling to me why she stopped way short on the lenght, as she commented on how much extra yarn she had leftover. I get she did not guage her stitching and the issue with the width...
Everyone just fell silent as I lifted it out of the box. To break the very pronounced silence , everyone just commented on her beautiful selection of yarn.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM

My brother sends me a Money Management newsletter every year. It's a combination of stock tips and consumer reports. Very weird.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:50 PM

I got a cigarette case from a co-worker for Christmas last year, I DON'T smoke!!!!! When she asked me how I liked it, I simply replied "I don't smoke", she told me to use it for a wallet?????
Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 PM

I got musical Cocker spanials in a basket one year from my husband, I am sorry I am a cat lover, I like dogs but not that much! It still cracks me up when I see it!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM

My husband got me a bra one year for Christmas.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM

I haven't gotten anything "weird" but after my mother died our dad would buy my sister's what they wanted and then buy me the same thing. He would buy my nieces what they wanted then my daughter the same as them. We never were asked what we wanted or liked. We ALWAYS got gold earrings and neither of us like gold jewerly, but my oldest sister does!
Old 12-14-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
My brother sends me a Money Management newsletter every year. It's a combination of stock tips and consumer reports. Very weird.
Maybe you should ask him to send along some money with the newsletter so you could take advantage of the stock tips, etc. LOL!
Old 12-14-2011, 02:10 PM

My DIL brags on Facebook what she got her mom and dad. Tends to 'forget' this side of the family. My son did slip the DH and me a gift card to a local place that serves really good food, but that was a few years ago.