Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you make your Christmas gifts?

Do many of you make gifts to give at Christmas time?
    Money is in short supply this year with my husband out of work for over a year. I have a handicapped daughter that goes to a special school, so each year I send gifts to her teacher, aides, and specials (op, pt, speech, nurses, etc) as well as the bus driver and aide (both men). Would love some ideas on what I can make for them this year. I have lots of fabric and a sewing machine at the ready.

Also two older sisters, another daughter and son, both in college. I would love to make something for the kids that they would have handmade from me... but would need it to be something that they would appreciate and WANT to keep!! : )
    Any suggestions from you talented people out there? I'd love to hear your ideas! I just recently found this forum and I love it here!

Power Poster
    pillow cases

If you have heavier duty cottons/denims - barbecue type aprons.

I think many people have been bagged/toted to the max.

Blog Entries
    I use to think that I had to buy stuff for my Christmas Presents, but I always had a quilt for someone in there too. Then about five years ago, I didn't "do" any hommade stuff for Christmas Presents and wow, did I get told that wasn't acceptable. Even my BIL made a comment about it, so now I try to do much more. The "quilt trash bag" (wrapping cheap) is the most sought after and the last gift given out. It never has a name on it, so the suspense is there till the end.......

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by merridancer
    . . . The "quilt trash bag" (wrapping cheap) is the most sought after and the last gift given out. It never has a name on it, so the suspense is there till the end.......
    You make a quilt for someone - put it in a trash bag (for "cheap wrapping") - and that is the last gift handed out?

Pillow cases and humbug type of zippered baggies went over well with the guys and girls. Everyone also seemed to like those little pincushion chickens. I fill them with Kaytee crushed walnut litter for bird cages. It makes the chickens feel like little bean bags and even if people don't sew they are nice gifts.

Yes, I have made pillowcases and I love them.... fun fabrics for the younger set. Good idea for the college kids.

Aprons! Yes, good idea! I do love tote bags and would be pleased if someone gave me one, but maybe you are right, that most people have tons of them... still a good idea, though.

And tell us more about the "quilt trash bag!!" I am so happy that everyone really appreciates your hand made gifts!

I have a cute pattern for a little lunch bag... pretty much looks like a brown paper bag, but in pretty fabric. I may make them. They can even be used as a gift bag....doubling as a gift and a wrapping! : )

Not related, but I love your avatar! I agree with pillowcases and the little zippered bags.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Not related, but I love your avatar! I agree with pillowcases and the little zippered bags.
    haha! Thank you wolfkitty! That is my cat, Zappy. He loves to sit in bags and boxes. I adore him! : )

Power Poster
    what is a "humbug" zippered type of baggie?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Quote Originally Posted by merridancer
    . . . The "quilt trash bag" (wrapping cheap) is the most sought after and the last gift given out. It never has a name on it, so the suspense is there till the end.......
    You make a quilt for someone - put it in a trash bag (for "cheap wrapping") - and that is the last gift handed out?
    Yup, Everyone knows that there is a quilt in there and they "sniff" around it trying to guess who is getting it, why they are getting it and why they think it should be theirs and no one else's. The trash bag is usually a white one, but if it's a big "fluffy" quilt, it may go in the big garden trash bag. If I am feeling really "Christmasie" it might get a bow...but don't count on it.

I make a tied couch throw each year for DD's homeroom teacher. The others such as the band teacher, music teacher, pe teacher, school nurse, etc. usually get a bag of homemade cookies---not an over abundance, usually just a dozen if they're small, 6 if they're large. But totes are always usable, snap bags for the ladies, cell phone carriers, there's a tute on here for teabag wallets. Those with assorted flavors of tea might be what the "others" get this year.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I make a tied couch throw each year for DD's homeroom teacher. The others such as the band teacher, music teacher, pe teacher, school nurse, etc. usually get a bag of homemade cookies---not an over abundance, usually just a dozen if they're small, 6 if they're large. But totes are always usable, snap bags for the ladies, cell phone carriers, there's a tute on here for teabag wallets. Those with assorted flavors of tea might be what the "others" get this year.
    Teabag wallet?!! Oh! Cute idea! Will check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I make a tied couch throw each year for DD's homeroom teacher.
    Lucky, lucky homeroom teacher!! Every teacher must be hoping to get your kid every year! : )

Raptureready! Thank you so much! I went to look for the tea bag wallet tutorial and it is adorable!! I think that they will be my teacher gifts this year.... I might add a mug to go with each one, since I have a lot of mugs from another (unstarted/unfinished) project!!

What about gifts for men? Any thoughts? I guess I could make cookies.

Blog Entries
    MORE, MORE, MORE ideas, PLEASE! I LOVE these threads! I'm afraid I'll miss something if I don't read everyone. I'm undecided as to what to do for some gifts and reading these is very useful directly or junp-starts ideas.

Blog Entries
    I used to, but now there isn't really anyone to exchange gifts with. I am quilting a few for the community group here though and that is fun.

I love these threads too. How about HM fleece socks, mittens, hats or scarves?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappycat
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    haha! Thank you wolfkitty! That is my cat, Zappy. He loves to sit in bags and boxes. I adore him! : )
    My cat aka.. sewing assistant aka... Zipster... his favorite thing to sit on is the current project I have going...sigh.. gotta love the critter tho...

This year all the Grandkids are getting appliqued beach/bath towels.. each to their favorite color and theme...
    Mom is getting a quilt( the sq yoyo one on another post) Havent' decidedo n anything else..
    I know i know.... I'm getting a late start.. nothing new with that!...
    I'd have more time if ppl would stop having so many kids around here... baby quilts all around!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappycat
    What about gifts for men? Any thoughts? I guess I could make cookies.
    Most men I know would rather have cookies than anything else. They can eat their present before they get home and not have to share. LOL
    But seeing as they are in and out of the cold on the bus, fleece or flannel scarves would be nice too.

I've decided to make beer and wine (material) mug mats...I know more people that would actually use them for beer and wine glasses more than coffee or tea mug mats...What does that say about me??? I don't even drink...LOL

Neighbors get big containers of cookies (with hershey's kisses wrapped ib foil), every family member gets socks (and most have those plastic hangers and can be hung on the tree). A friend crochet's everyone a neck scarf that we look forward to. I like the idea of pillowcases - fast and functional.

Thanks everyone!! Let's keep these ideas coming!!

Mary Quilter... when people give me cookies... I eat them on the way home so I don't have to share too!! haha....sad, but true!

Bluteddi! Haha... you have Zipster... I have Zapster (we call Zappy that, too!) And yes, he also loves to sit on any project I start!