Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you make your Christmas gifts? >

Do you make your Christmas gifts?

Do you make your Christmas gifts?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by merridancer
. . . The "quilt trash bag" (wrapping cheap) is the most sought after and the last gift given out. It never has a name on it, so the suspense is there till the end.......
You make a quilt for someone - put it in a trash bag (for "cheap wrapping") - and that is the last gift handed out?
Yup, Everyone knows that there is a quilt in there and they "sniff" around it trying to guess who is getting it, why they are getting it and why they think it should be theirs and no one else's. The trash bag is usually a white one, but if it's a big "fluffy" quilt, it may go in the big garden trash bag. If I am feeling really "Christmasie" it might get a bow...but don't count on it.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 AM

I make a tied couch throw each year for DD's homeroom teacher. The others such as the band teacher, music teacher, pe teacher, school nurse, etc. usually get a bag of homemade cookies---not an over abundance, usually just a dozen if they're small, 6 if they're large. But totes are always usable, snap bags for the ladies, cell phone carriers, there's a tute on here for teabag wallets. Those with assorted flavors of tea might be what the "others" get this year.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I make a tied couch throw each year for DD's homeroom teacher. The others such as the band teacher, music teacher, pe teacher, school nurse, etc. usually get a bag of homemade cookies---not an over abundance, usually just a dozen if they're small, 6 if they're large. But totes are always usable, snap bags for the ladies, cell phone carriers, there's a tute on here for teabag wallets. Those with assorted flavors of tea might be what the "others" get this year.
Teabag wallet?!! Oh! Cute idea! Will check that out!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I make a tied couch throw each year for DD's homeroom teacher.
Lucky, lucky homeroom teacher!! Every teacher must be hoping to get your kid every year! : )

Raptureready! Thank you so much! I went to look for the tea bag wallet tutorial and it is adorable!! I think that they will be my teacher gifts this year.... I might add a mug to go with each one, since I have a lot of mugs from another (unstarted/unfinished) project!!

What about gifts for men? Any thoughts? I guess I could make cookies.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:38 PM

MORE, MORE, MORE ideas, PLEASE! I LOVE these threads! I'm afraid I'll miss something if I don't read everyone. I'm undecided as to what to do for some gifts and reading these is very useful directly or junp-starts ideas.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I used to, but now there isn't really anyone to exchange gifts with. I am quilting a few for the community group here though and that is fun.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I love these threads too. How about HM fleece socks, mittens, hats or scarves?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Zappycat
Originally Posted by wolfkitty
Not related, but I love your avatar! I agree with pillowcases and the little zippered bags.
haha! Thank you wolfkitty! That is my cat, Zappy. He loves to sit in bags and boxes. I adore him! : )
My cat aka.. sewing assistant aka... Zipster... his favorite thing to sit on is the current project I have going...sigh.. gotta love the critter tho...

This year all the Grandkids are getting appliqued beach/bath towels.. each to their favorite color and theme...
Mom is getting a quilt( the sq yoyo one on another post) Havent' decidedo n anything else..
I know i know.... I'm getting a late start.. nothing new with that!...
I'd have more time if ppl would stop having so many kids around here... baby quilts all around!!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Zappycat
What about gifts for men? Any thoughts? I guess I could make cookies.
Most men I know would rather have cookies than anything else. They can eat their present before they get home and not have to share. LOL
But seeing as they are in and out of the cold on the bus, fleece or flannel scarves would be nice too.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 PM

I've decided to make beer and wine (material) mug mats...I know more people that would actually use them for beer and wine glasses more than coffee or tea mug mats...What does that say about me??? I don't even drink...LOL