Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm >

Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Old 12-15-2011, 05:00 AM

My dil, she does all the gift shopping, regifts to me almost every year. Last year, I got a box of chocolates that must have been up in her closet for at least 5 years! I quickly closed the lid so my son wouldn't see them.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:08 AM

One year my MIL gave me a battery operated door bell. It played 'Hit the Road Jack'!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:21 AM

I definately haven't gotten any gifts like these, but sure enjoy reading this thread!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:29 AM

In about 1990, my ex-BIL gave my husband a rubber Richard Nixon shower head cover. The water came out of Nixon's mouth. One year my mother gave me jewlery made out of dried fish bones. I thought they were ugly and gross and told her so. Then annually I got at least one piece as a joke gift, until she passed away in 2000. I still have them and should really throw them away...but it makes me laugh now when I see them.

My birthday is close to Christmas and when I was growing up, I had many relatives who used to give me a Christmas gift and say, "We got you a combined birthday/Christmas gift". The single gift was never so awesome that it would have trumped receiving two proper gifts. :-) I recall getting a pair of socks from an aunt one year as a combined gift. Itchy, homemade knitted wool socks. Perfect for an 8 year-old (NOT!).
Old 12-15-2011, 06:23 AM

After telling DH we needed to buy a new toilet seat before our visitors arrival for Xmas he nodded in agreement and said he would take care of it and to my surprise when i opened my gift on Xmas day which was a weird shape to my disbelief i found a brand new toilet seat all wrapped up in Xmas paper needless to say he nearly wore the seat around his neck LOL and my adults children and my 4 grand daughters thought it was very funny and weird gift. Maybe this year i will ask him for a Diamond ring LOL
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Glenda m View Post
My DIL brags on Facebook what she got her mom and dad. Tends to 'forget' this side of the family. My son did slip the DH and me a gift card to a local place that serves really good food, but that was a few years ago.
Your DIL reminds me of my ex-DIL who had to go out for a short awhile when we visited in the early evening for DH's birthday. We were expecting to celebrate by having coffee and cake with her, our son and our little granddaughter. She didn't return until almost 11pm when we all had gone to bed and the next morning at breakfast bragged about the great place she took her father to when he visited for his birthday.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Lol I have a pretty metal engraved cigarette case that I use as a wallet! It's the perfect size for ID, credit cards, insurance cards, etc. Great for when you don't want to lug around a purse - we went to Disneyland and it was perfect. Our tickets fit, there was enough room for cash, and I could stick it in my pocket and not worry about losing it on rides. However, I wouldn't give one as a gift unless I knew the recipient would use it. I got one for my mom and she uses it for all those store "club cards" they give out.
Some of the newer credit cards can be "read" by someone else just by standing close to you in the store. If your cards are in a metal cigarette case they can't be "read" and the numbers stolen. Not a bad idea for a gift.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:36 AM

The first year I was married, my MIL gave me a bottle of Wisk detergent...and a small bottle at that....everyone is opening presents at Christmas Eve and getting nice things and I open that...at my puzzled look, she said..."well, you don't know how to wash Mark's clothes clean enough..." She is an ex MIL for many years now....I was very young and mortified!!! In front of the whole family....
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 AM

When the commercial came out years ago about "I have fallen and can't get up" I foolishly gave my father a Tshirt saying that. I thought I was being funny, but they didn't. He was in his late 70s at that time and I am sure they looked at each other and said...hmmmm. They lived out of state, so I only heard about it's really isn't funny part.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:47 AM

Depends on your definition of "weird." I get things others might consider weird, or sad, but I ask for them. All my tools have been Christmas/Birthday/Mother's Day gifts (hey, I'm a homeowner now!), got a pair of sawhorses (which was adorable because Dad used burlap and yarn and made them look like a little horse, then hid it in the garage attic and I had to follow all these clues to the garage where there was a phone number to call Santa, who told me to go upstairs) and best of all - a kitchen sink! The house had one of those "farmer's" sinks where it's huge and deep without a divider. I wanted a split sink, but refused to spend the money. Put it on my list as a guffaw, but - you guessed it - Dad got it for me. I was never so tickled. This year I've asked for new toilet seats for the two bathrooms, and a bi-metal hole saw set. I can't wait to see what he does with that!