Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm >
  • Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

• Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM

My husband gave me a fire extinguisher one year. Now it's a family joke.

I made and canned cranberry relish one year, put a pretty little doily over the lid to dress it up and gave it to my sister-in-law for Christmas one year. The next year, she gifted me with a combination of home made canned goods in a basket. One of the items was my jar of cranberries with its doily still attached. It was the last time I gave her anything at all!
    Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Right after we were married our first Christmas- my MIL insisted we have dinner with them- umm okay, so she gave DH an elaborate gift of monies, and I got an ugly green sweater that was marked down from May D&F. Oh okay.. so he gets monies and I get an ugly sweater that didn't fit and looked like it had been returned with snags all in it and was on sale ? ummm needless to say, how to PC this one .. can't LOL The relationship between us has been (MIL) has been very very rocky !LOL shoulda known !LOL when I got the sweater.. LOL Don't worry I am polite as polite as I can be when they (the in-laws) are around !! LOL
    Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 AM

A few years ago someone brought us a bottle of wine as a hostess gift at our holiday party. In the gift bag there was a card to Them from Someone else!

I don't think re-gifting unopened wine is really so bad, but, come on, take out the original card!
    Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM

Since our siblings live a distance away and we don't see each other all that often, it is hard to gage gifts- I'm sure I've been off more than once on the nieces and nephews. And of course there are those who when there is a gift exchange with a set dollar amount go way over the top. Or choose to sneak in gifts when we agreed not to that year. I got even with one sister-in-law who is very bossy. She has this anal personality and restrictions on their kids- We gave them a big gift basket of candy each! Which they broke into right then and there. To give you idea of the rigidity- She came to visit and stay the night with the kids for something in town. We rarely see them and this was new and exciting for them especially since we had just moved back from across the country. As we sat there after what she perceived to be a late dinner (6:30- Man she'd die on our schedule) She ran down her list of does and don't for the kids. One- no load noises and screaming in the house, 2- no sweets after dinner, 3- No snacking after 7:00 P.M. Well her list was growing longer by the minute and my husband looked at his watch then disappeared. Next thing I heard at 7:01 P.M. was a shout from the kitchen-"Who wants some licorice!" Our 3 kids and their 3 leapt to their feet yelling "I do I do!" Husband’s reply-" I can't hear you! If you want it you have to catch me first!" And so the rumpus proceeded from one room to the next over the foot stool bounding up and down the stairs with shouts and screams of delight as the bandits now winded and happy, claimed their bounty. Now I suppose all of you are wondering what I did to appease my poor dear sister in law who was beside herself. I ignored the whole thing pretending this was absolutely normal- truth is when Daddy is home it's always possible. We waited, prayed and cried for 10 years for kids so ya, we're going to enjoy them even if others think us a little nuts. Merry Christmas with a capital C. God is good!
    Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 AM

My mother sent me a used sweater from Goodwill. She has always given me items that were used or cheap. My brother and sister-sister especially always got the 'good' stuff. Money, designer clothes, just because gifts. I am older than they are by 7 and 8 years and dark while they are light-Can we say redheaded stepchild? Except that I am not a step child she just treated me like it.
    Old 12-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
    Since our siblings live a distance away and we don't see each other all that often, it is hard to gage gifts- I'm sure I've been off more than once on the nieces and nephews. And of course there are those who when there is a gift exchange with a set dollar amount go way over the top. Or choose to sneak in gifts when we agreed not to that year. I got even with one sister-in-law who is very bossy. She has this anal personality and restrictions on their kids- We gave them a big gift basket of candy each! Which they broke into right then and there. To give you idea of the rigidity- She came to visit and stay the night with the kids for something in town. We rarely see them and this was new and exciting for them especially since we had just moved back from across the country. As we sat there after what she perceived to be a late dinner (6:30- Man she'd die on our schedule) She ran down her list of does and don't for the kids. One- no load noises and screaming in the house, 2- no sweets after dinner, 3- No snacking after 7:00 P.M. Well her list was growing longer by the minute and my husband looked at his watch then disappeared. Next thing I heard at 7:01 P.M. was a shout from the kitchen-"Who wants some licorice!" Our 3 kids and their 3 leapt to their feet yelling "I do I do!" Husband’s reply-" I can't hear you! If you want it you have to catch me first!" And so the rumpus proceeded from one room to the next over the foot stool bounding up and down the stairs with shouts and screams of delight as the bandits now winded and happy, claimed their bounty. Now I suppose all of you are wondering what I did to appease my poor dear sister in law who was beside herself. I ignored the whole thing pretending this was absolutely normal- truth is when Daddy is home it's always possible. We waited, prayed and cried for 10 years for kids so ya, we're going to enjoy them even if others think us a little nuts. Merry Christmas with a capital C. God is good!
    Good for hubby!
    Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 AM

MIL also gave me a can of air freshener one year. I never knew what to make of that.
    Old 12-15-2011, 09:04 AM

The first year I was married, my MIL gave me a floor-length, long-sleeved, turtle-neck flannel nightgown (never saw one with a turtle-neck before). I guess she wasn't in any hurry for grandchildren!
    Old 12-15-2011, 09:18 AM

One year I gave my DH soffits (Installed) and he gave me gutters (Installed). It was a great Christmas and the house looks so much nicer.
    Old 12-15-2011, 09:24 AM

Husbands--aren't they priceless? My home is decorated with a mix of paintings, etchings and sculptures of women and girls. Most are Native Americans in authentic dress. One year my husband gave me African hand carved masks.....Whats up with that?