View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 AM
twinkie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I was told by one Walmart fabric dept manager that it is up to the store manager how much floor space to allow the fabric dept and up to the fabric dept manager what to order for the dept. That's why each Walmart fabric dept is different. One Walmart close to me the fabric dept manager is a quilter. She has everything available for her to order there, her dept never lost the fabric dept, she just kept ordering and the truck kept bringing it. She will retire soon and she is afraid the dept will go down hill with someone that doesn't know a fig about fabric or sewing being in charge.
I was with our WalMart fabric department for three years and each year our remodel layout (size of department and where it would be located) was determined by home office. I left fabrics when the department was eliminated two years ago.
I also have been told that cost of merchandise is determined by the area of the country the store is located. I am sure the cost of material is much higher in NY than it would be in Alabama because everything else is more expensive also. IMHO The only thing that costs close to $8 py in our area is the collegiate material and it is still at least $4 py less than the LQS collegiate material.

Last edited by twinkie; 02-16-2012 at 05:05 AM.