Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart Sticker Shock

Blog Entries

Walmart Sticker Shock

Well, I'm very glad that they've brought back the fabric, but last night I experienced sticker shock - most fabrics were just under $8/yard! Maybe they think they've turned into an LQS? Sorry, Walmart. Not at those prices.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Not that I disagree, but with LQS selling between $11-14/yard, WM is probably at the same discount prior to the recent fabric price increases.

I visited a WalMart in Green Bay, WI this past weekend. They didn't have a fabric department, but in the Crafts section they had prepackaged fat quarters for 97 cents each, and sets of 8 batik fat quarters for $10. I really don't understand WalMart's policy on fabrics at all. My local WalMart has none, other WalMarts have the prepackaged fabrics, and yet others have expensive fabrics like you found.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

We don't have a fabric dept at our WM, but a bunch of precut fabric packages. They are all over the place in price. Clearance stickers with the price marked out, one price then another. I don't even bother to see what the actual price is, if they can't take the time to make up their mind then I am not going to take the time to figure it out myself.

I have gotten batik jelly rolls at a very good price on clearance. Otherwise, i avoid wmart fabric.
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

I paid 5.97/yard at Walmart yesterday. The cutter was really busy - I was 3rd in line. A JoAnn's just opened, and HobbyLobby opened before Christmas. Walmart has a lot of competition right now in the area. Before Christmas their only competition was a few LQS's - so Walmart had the least expensive game in town. And getting help in the fabric department was the pits - backup was from the electronic department! It will be interesting over the next year.

Our WM prices have gone up but so has the quality
    Mona Marie
    I am too Blessed to be stressed and too Anointed to be disappointed

Our Wal Mart does NOT have fabrics that expensive. I have lots of fabrics there, Joanns has some identical fabric as Wal Mart and just costs more. Buyer Beware!!!!!!!!!!
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My Walmart does not have fabric, wish they did.

Blog Entries
    I was told by one Walmart fabric dept manager that it is up to the store manager how much floor space to allow the fabric dept and up to the fabric dept manager what to order for the dept. That's why each Walmart fabric dept is different. One Walmart close to me the fabric dept manager is a quilter. She has everything available for her to order there, her dept never lost the fabric dept, she just kept ordering and the truck kept bringing it. She will retire soon and she is afraid the dept will go down hill with someone that doesn't know a fig about fabric or sewing being in charge.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Newer fabrics that are now coming in at Walmart go for 7.97. The older bolts are still 4.97, 5.97, but I think until they are running out.

There's no doubt, that the quality is not what it could be, especially for that price.
    ♥♥♥ Loving Mama ♥♥♥

If life gives you scraps, make an angel quilt out of it!

Mine keeps telling me they are bringing it back. This is the month they said, but still no fabric.

kso
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Well, I'm very glad that they've brought back the fabric, but last night I experienced sticker shock - most fabrics were just under $8/yard! Maybe they think they've turned into an LQS? Sorry, Walmart. Not at those prices.
    Nothing priced that high in my WM fabric dept.
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890

Fabric that has been on the shelves from before Christmas will be less than any brought into the stores now. At $5.25 to over $7 a yard wholesale, not counting the shipping costs to the stores, a lot of shops will be charging more, I'm afraid. Maybe I need to re-think downsizing
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Our wally world has a few fabrics that are of better quality that are over 7 a yard. I plan to buy some later in the year. They also carry some fabrics that I wouldn't buy if it were 50 cents a yard. Our LQS prices range from 10 and up. I buy from her also at least $20 a month.

I do not know why you'd pay that much for Wal-Mart fabric when you can get top manufacturer quality fabric for less than $5 bucks a yard at Thousandsofbolts.com.

If you email Sharon at Marshall's Dry Goods she will put you on the email list and send you all the special bolt fabric buys. Many are less then $3 a yard. You don't need a tax number or be a shop owner to buy the bolt specials the quilt shops buy.

Sharon: mdgsharon at swbell.net

Yes, I had to one yard of an olive color and I was shocked 7.97 a yard.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

I was in the fabric department at our Walmart today and we do not have fabric over $5.95 a yard and there is very little at that price. Most of ours is much lower.

They have 2 fabric collections for 7.97 in our walmart. They are gorgeous,one is a modern collection, new prints and colors, and the other is more shabby chic, lots of roses.I am planning to buy some this weekend when I am off work.
    Christina

I personally think our walmart carries cheaper fabric, so cheap I am not interested.

The backing fabric for my last two quilts have come from Walmart. They were in the clearance aisle for $1.50 a yard! And the best thing is that the colors were right for my quilts. Last weekend I bought one fat quarter for 99 cents & a pack of 5 fat quarters (all in cordinating colors) for $7.98. I have bought some regular priced fabrics and they ran between $5 to $6 a yd. I haven't noticed the $8 a yd fabrics. I'll keep my eye out for it.

Was in Wal Mart the other day and fabric was from $1.50 up over $5.00 a yard. Lots of new bolts there.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Blog Entries
    My Walmart does not have fabric at all. Other stores I have seen have fabric, but of a very low quality and as before mentioned, the quality is all over the place. I feel bad for beginning quilters who don't realize that it is poor quality and put all of the work into a quilt...only to have it fall apart.

Our Walmart carries mostly very low quality fabric. When I'm not buying fabric for a particular quilt I add to my stash by always checking for the sale fabric at any LQS I go to. They usually have a good selection at most shops I've been to and the price is about $4/yd and sometimes less. Even if you only pick out one piece each time it can add up. I have so much beautiful fabric that I have been able to pull from my stash that I have paid the same as you would for lower quality fabric. I also shop at the online stores that offer daily deals such as Missouri Star and Beverly's. At Beverly's daily deal with the shipping it comes to about $4.95/yard. I just want the best fabric I can buy for the least amount of money!
    Kelly

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast