Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Fabric, Sticker Shock

Quilting Fabric, Sticker Shock

$12.70, $14.98, $23.00 a YARD.
    Glad I don't need anything. I'll keep downsizing, but maybe keep more fabric than I had planned.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

OMG!! Where are you shopping!?

Candace

Blog Entries
    I know right!!! it's getting crazy. Most of the higher prices have been on batiks, that I've seen anyway. I'm gonna stick with bargain and sale shopping!!!
    http://babyfire04.blogspot.com/
    If it makes you happy, it's worth the time!

There are really nice fabrics out there that cost much less. Where are you located?

You need to shop on line. Thousands of bolts, connecting threads, and so many more. I never pay over $6.00 a yard unless I just really fall in love with a fabric.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I just can't handle that!! I am glad there are good quality fabrics on-line and I still find the designer brands and some of the Keepsake at Joann's just fine-and I never pay retail-always wait until they are 30-40% off, and use my QCA 10% discount, or use a 40-50% coupon when they are NOT on sale! I never pay more than $7.00/yd that way!

Blog Entries
    I was in JoAnns a couple of days ago and noticed their quilter's cotton new bolts priced $12.99, up from $9.99.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I was in JoAnns a couple of days ago and noticed their quilter's cotton new bolts priced $12.99, up from $9.99.
    Yes, many of their premium cottons are, but they have so many sales, why buy retail???? Plus the coupons when they are NOT on sale. I am patient-I'll wait until I can get them at least 40%off!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I stock up on fabrics during shop hops.. I can touch and feel the fabric to make sure its not see thru flimsy stuff- during the hop usually have fabric 25% off.. Plus never hurts to hit their sale and bargain basement clearance fabric sections..

Blog Entries
    I know - Hancock's had some gorgeous fabric from M'liss Rae Hawley, it's called Kashmir Fleece, and was SOOOO wonderful to touch! I was going to purchase some, but it was $20 a yard!!!!

I agree- LQS are up over $11 yd!!! Yikes. So I am sticking to my bargain shopping and sales.

Blog Entries
    i love quilt shop quality fabric and yes it is expensive starting at $10.99 per yard. joann's isnt close enough to me to shop their stores and i find some fabrics from hancocks that i like so online shopping has been a lifeline for me but the name brand fabrics can still cost around $9.00 online.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Holy cow! That's crazy! If fabrics go to $20 a yard I won't be buying much at all.

Guess we will have to budget and save in order to go fabric shopping in the future. Have to make sure to have a project in mind. Also we'll really have to take advantage of the bargains when we find them.
    katigirl

The states is nothing compared to overseas....the fabric here is 15-18 euro a meter. A meter is 35" so almost a yard and the dollar is way down. $1=.76 euro on a good day it changes daily. I have an APO so I get US shipping prices but those that don't, Quilting is crazy expensive if your not careful. Funny for international quilters even at those prices is cheap but then in some places like here there money goes further in the states! I pay 6.99 euro a spool of 2000 meter thread when I can find it here. I miss coupons and LQS and joanns!
    *Rachel*

If I had to buy fabric in England I'd never make anything, the cheapest good quality fabric here is a minimum of 7.99 which equates to about $13 per yard. Needless to say I buy most if not all of my fabric from the US online, or if they don't deliver to the UK thankfully I have a wonderful friend in CO who I get it shipped to and she ships it to me. Only problem I have is keeping the yardage down so I don't get stung with Customs taxes but even with that it's much cheaper to buy from the US. I really have no idea why fabric in the UK is such an astronomical price. Hubby dreads our visits to the US because he knows there's almost always an extra bag coming home with us full of goodies.
    Old enough to know, young enough to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
    The states is nothing compared to overseas....the fabric here is 15-18 euro a meter. A meter is 35" so almost a yard and the dollar is way down. $1=.76 euro on a good day it changes daily.
    I don't know for sure about Germany, but in the rest of the world, a meter is 39.37"...not 35".
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

best regards to our international friends who follow their passion despite the cost. I applaud you. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Just an fyi - for reasonably priced fabric: I recently purchased online from http://www.5bucksayard.com and was VERY pleased. Nice fabric, lots of designs, great price and quick delivery.
    justsojanie

Quote Originally Posted by brit_kitty View Post
    If I had to buy fabric in England I'd never make anything, the cheapest good quality fabric here is a minimum of 7.99 which equates to about $13 per yard. Needless to say I buy most if not all of my fabric from the US online, or if they don't deliver to the UK thankfully I have a wonderful friend in CO who I get it shipped to and she ships it to me. Only problem I have is keeping the yardage down so I don't get stung with Customs taxes but even with that it's much cheaper to buy from the US. I really have no idea why fabric in the UK is such an astronomical price. Hubby dreads our visits to the US because he knows there's almost always an extra bag coming home with us full of goodies.
    My MIL visits every year from Sweden and brings a huge suitcase that she fills with fabric and takes home with her. She has a shopping list every year from her quilt guild and we march into Fabric Depot and she gleefully spends a few hundred dollars. The prices in Europe are quite high and the recent higher prices in the US are still lower than our counterparts overseas pay.
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Blog Entries
    Living in Vanuatu, where we had NO access to any fabric or notions, except cheap Chinese (which I learned with), I always loaded an extra suitcase to take back when I visited the US. I couldn't get most on-line shops to send there, and the duty and postage would have cost a fortune, anyway. Even paying excess baggage, the cost per yard wasn't that much-besides, I always bought on sale, or with coupons. Australia and New Zealand which are not far from Vanuatu were really expensive-like $25.00/mtr back then. I amassed a huge stash bringing back a suitcase full every year, and then hauled every scrap back to the US when we moved back here a couple years ago! Last year when in Australia, I went into a LQS, drooled on the fabrics, and just could not bring myself to pay that much money!! We are so lucky here in the US, despite complaining about $9.00-12.00/yard!

Blog Entries
    a note to all in foreign countries--the U.S. dollar is so low now, especially against the Aussy $, it would pay to get fabric on-line from US shops and have it sent!! Your currency will go much further buying here now. Even paying overseas postage and probably duty (if you have it), it would still be less expensive to buy with your favorable exchange rate. I am sure if you had to have it sent to a US address, people on this board will be willing to forward it on to you--I know I would.

Eak. Hancock's has a 40% coupon in their mailer right now through March 14 - get on their list if you are not already...

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I know - Hancock's had some gorgeous fabric from M'liss Rae Hawley, it's called Kashmir Fleece, and was SOOOO wonderful to touch! I was going to purchase some, but it was $20 a yard!!!!
    Shannon

Blog Entries
    thats crazy! i am so glad with the power of the internet i can find those same fabrics at $7.95 (which is what my local quilt shop charges for 98% of their name brand- quilting cottons) on up- and if i look for sales i can get them even lower- if i were still there & saw those prices i would head for the door- and probably (off-handedly) mention it's time to turn on the computer & get what i need- it's like gas prices! going crazy- too bad some lqs' dont even try to stay competitive- then wonder why they are getting less & less customers.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I just bought a bunch of new batiks from Fabric Depot.com....great pricing and they ship really quickly...and the fabric is wonderful!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast