Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Quilting Fabric, Sticker Shock

These are the prices we pay for good quality quilting material here in Australia. I now mostly shop on line, even with the high cost of US postage it works out cheaper.
    "The manner of giving is worth more than the gift"
    (Pierre Corneeille)

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...565342FC5A.png

Blog Entries
    While I'm visiting my dad in albuquerque, I visited a LQS that deals greatly with southwest designs. So far, I bought two patterns but I fell in love with three others. Two of which they have the kits which would cost $500 dollars. The third one they no longer have a kit, but the pattern is $50. I have until Tuesday to make up my mind if I want to increase my national debt. If I were to pick out my own fabric for the pattern that I'm having dreams while I'm awake and sleeping the cost would be close to $300.
    The Quilting Bear

I have my first real "sticker shock" day at the LQS.....dropped in to get some fabric for a simple lap/twin quilt.....nearly fell over when the register said $179.00!! Guess I will be using my stash for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    From what I've read people in the NE USA make a lot more money that many other parts of the US. So, for people from your part of the US to pay that much results in a lot fewer sacrifices than someone say, from TX or FL to pay that much for fabric.
    As a 12th generation New Englander, I find this statement incredibly offensive. Salaries, for some, are higher here for the very simple reason that the cost of living is much higher...and I'm talking about the basic costs of living (food, clothing, shelter, utilities, health care), not the fluff like fabric. You've made a very broad generalization about millions of US citizens all based on something you read somewhere...there's a name for that and it's not very pretty.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Living now on a fixed income I am so thankful that when I was working I bought fabric almost every time I fell in love with it! I have made only 6 quilts but have a stash you probably would all envy. I don't even know what I've got in there. Now, if I do need something I shop the sales at Hobby Lobby or coupon sales at Hancock's, the two stores near me that still carry fabric. I have found very pretty and nice quality items for less than $6. I have tons of Walmart fabric in my stash and actuallly some that a neighbor of my mom's gave me 40 years ago!! My kids and friends say I need to pare down!! not gonna happen. They will have to dispose of it someday, cause I may need it!! She who dies with the most fabric,,,, you know the rest.
    well, I guess I'm set. For you all who need to buy, I offer this, shop online. I think it's good quality most of the time and always look for free shipping... it's terrific!! Also, i find kits seem to be more economical than my going out and buying a bunch of fabric that I will have scraps to do nothing with later. I use a bunch of these. Although I needed some pure white cotton yesterday for a lap size quilt and guess what.... I don't have any white. I love prints!
    Good luck everyone. It is a sign of our bad economy.....look at gas prices! good luck!
    Last edited by Helen6869; 03-03-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: additions to thoughts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbere15 View Post
    While I'm visiting my dad in albuquerque, I visited a LQS that deals greatly with southwest designs. So far, I bought two patterns but I fell in love with three others. Two of which they have the kits which would cost $500 dollars. The third one they no longer have a kit, but the pattern is $50. I have until Tuesday to make up my mind if I want to increase my national debt. If I were to pick out my own fabric for the pattern that I'm having dreams while I'm awake and sleeping the cost would be close to $300.
    I just got back from Arizona and am in love with anything Southwestern, or Native American (I collect Native American dolls and decor like baskets, dream catchers, and I even have an original quiver of arrows), and they are all in my bedroom! I want to make a quilt for our bed in that theme, and have a few patterns earmarked that would suit, but to buy enough fabric, it would cost well over $200.00!! Someday-----------

Blog Entries
    I have bought so much fabric from Beverly's at $2.98 a yard that I have had to go on a fabric diet. LOL Check out their deals of the day. The new fabric sale starts 11am pacific time. Scroll down to see what will be on sale today. If you like what you see, order immediately. At those prices, it sells out quickly. They have quality fabrics like Kaufman, etc. Today's Deal of the Day are Kaufman oriental prints. http://www.beverlys.com/fabric-deal-of-the-day.html

Prices are getting out of sight. I shop sales.

Quote Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
    I have bought so much fabric from Beverly's at $2.98 a yard that I have had to go on a fabric diet. LOL Check out their deals of the day. The new fabric sale starts 11am pacific time. Scroll down to see what will be on sale today. If you like what you see, order immediately. At those prices, it sells out quickly. They have quality fabrics like Kaufman, etc. Today's Deal of the Day are Kaufman oriental prints. http://www.beverlys.com/fabric-deal-of-the-day.html
    Thanks for posting the link.

Quote Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
    Thanks for posting the link.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth View Post
    $12.70, $14.98, $23.00 a YARD.
    Glad I don't need anything. I'll keep downsizing, but maybe keep more fabric than I had planned.
    Doesn't Fabric Depot have great sales??
    quilting with my dogs

If we start shopping on-line more and stop buying the higher price frabics unless they are on sale, I would think the the LQS would be forced to start carrying more affordable priced fabric and less of the higher priced designer fabrics. This in turn should cause a big impact on the bottom line profits for the designers and manufactures and force them to reduce their price schedule to their wholesale buyers who then should pass the cost reduction on to us, the retail buyers. However, as long as we are willing to pay the higher prices, they will just continue to increase prices year after year.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    If we start shopping on-line more and stop buying the higher price frabics unless they are on sale, I would think the the LQS would be forced to start carrying more affordable priced fabric and less of the higher priced designer fabrics. This in turn should cause a big impact on the bottom line profits for the designers and manufactures and force them to reduce their price schedule to their wholesale buyers who then should pass the cost reduction on to us, the retail buyers. However, as long as we are willing to pay the higher prices, they will just continue to increase prices year after year.
    I totally agree - I refuse to pay high prices for fabric - will use my stash and buy sales such as the classifieds here lol
    Grandmas are just antique little girls!!

I love reading all your posts and suggestions. I like the better quality, high thread count cotton, and some are only sold to LQS and available at LQS. When I traveled to Europe 15 years ago for Quilt Market and Festival, I wanted to buy fabric to bring home but the prices were high then, I only purchased a few special pieces. I did take fabric with me to France to TRADE and both myself and those with whom I traded did a happy dance.
    With more storms in the south, more cotton crops might be destroyed again this year.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    Havent slept a wink all weekend long as I was having dreams about this fabric. Went back to the store today and I only spent $550 dollars and I put half of it back. The good news is that I was able to purchase online and saved 35 dollars in sales tax and I got free shipping. The bad news is I can't show you all what I purchased until next week when I get it.
    The Quilting Bear

Blog Entries
    Our fabric here is $18.95/metre. It hasn't gone up at all over the last couple of years with the cotton crisis so I feel lucky.

I've looked into shopping online and unfortunately, once you factor in shipping, duty, GST...it works out to nearly the same price. I found some fabric I loved onsale for $5.96/yard...the cost for just getting a couple of metres plus shipping made it $16.95/yard...so why wouldn't I support my local shop instead. I get to feel the fabric and hold it (they have lint brushes available for those of us that like to hug up the jelly rolls).
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

shop yard sales, thrift stores, find out when Fabric Depot is having a sale (like Martin Luther King Day), coupons for Joanne's etc.

Havent slept a wink all weekend long as I was having dreams about this fabric. Went back to the store today and I only spent $550 dollars and I put half of it back. The good news is that I was able to purchase online and saved 35 dollars in sales tax and I got free shipping. The bad news is I can't show you all what I purchased until next week when I get it.
    "Free shipping" is what I like to hear. I found fabric online this week at a great sale. I was in heaven! I got my order all ready & when it rang up, shipping was $15! I didn't get that much fabric (maybe yards or so) so I was SHOCKED. And I passed on the sale. I know postage has gone up but $15? Connecting Threads has free shipiing. Free is a long way from $15!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3