Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart Sticker Shock

Blog Entries
    I tried I really did.....

I went to one local Walmart and as one writer noted the shelves were poorly maintained and stocked. I picked up a few things then put them back because I would not subject myself to shopping in such a mess.

I went to another Walmart and the cutting table so small she had a time measuring and cutting. She was actually wedged between an aisle behind a post. I talked to her about the fabric department. She told me Walmart just doesn't get it. It's trying to minimally deal with the customer complaints rather than provide a customer-based department.

So here I am on my soapbox:

I go to Walmart only when I have to. Since Sam Walton passed, I find the shelves in many departments are a take-it or leave it selection and the prices vs. what you really get are high. Walmart has forced out so many local customer-oriented businesses, it's time to fight back by supporting the local entreprenuers.

Ok I'm done......
    Last edited by thrums; 02-15-2012 at 11:06 PM.

We consider ourselves lucky if we can get fabric at $8 a metre at our local Spotlight stores. Otherwise it's the LQS at around $20 or more a metre
    Blessings from Janice

I have 2 Walmart stores in a reasonable distance from where I live, one has a craft and fabric department, one doesn't...Go figure!
    Peace!

Blog Entries
    As usual, there seems to be lots of differences in Walmart experiences. There are two Walmarts not far from us. Only one had fabric for the longest time and that is where I shopped. I had a firm Walmart rule: never pay more than $2.99 a yard and I have to say that I really stocked up over the last couple of years. At this particular Walmart there is almost never anyone at the cutting table and you often have to cut the fabric yourself if you want it.
    At the second Walmart they recently brought back the fabric department. I stopped in a couple of weeks ago to pick up some solid black and my husband was browsing around. He brought me bolt after bolt for $1 - $1.50 /yard. It was good quality although not prints that I loved. But at that price, I bought a few bolts to use for backing and also aprons.

Looking forward to Joann's sale this weekend - 50% off the red dot section! At one particular store, I've found lots of nice prints by known names and even some batiks! I'm ready!!!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    I think a lot of it has to do with the area you live it. Our Walmart doesn't even carry fabric anymore. I miss that Department.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Our Wal Mart just recenty reopened the fabric dept. We have a full time clerk there, and the fabric is right around $6.00 a yard.
    Amythyst

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I was told by one Walmart fabric dept manager that it is up to the store manager how much floor space to allow the fabric dept and up to the fabric dept manager what to order for the dept. That's why each Walmart fabric dept is different. One Walmart close to me the fabric dept manager is a quilter. She has everything available for her to order there, her dept never lost the fabric dept, she just kept ordering and the truck kept bringing it. She will retire soon and she is afraid the dept will go down hill with someone that doesn't know a fig about fabric or sewing being in charge.
    I was with our WalMart fabric department for three years and each year our remodel layout (size of department and where it would be located) was determined by home office. I left fabrics when the department was eliminated two years ago.
    I also have been told that cost of merchandise is determined by the area of the country the store is located. I am sure the cost of material is much higher in NY than it would be in Alabama because everything else is more expensive also. IMHO The only thing that costs close to $8 py in our area is the collegiate material and it is still at least $4 py less than the LQS collegiate material.
    Last edited by twinkie; 02-16-2012 at 05:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    Four WM stores in my area with no fabric. They do carry sewing machines, yarn and crochet item, buttons and other notions, but no yard goods. A fifth store, within the same driving distance, has a fair selection, albeit small. Their largest section is home decorator fabrics. I haven't gotten any cottons because of the low quality and poor design choices. However, a store I frequent in my travels to WV is loaded with good fabrics - of all kinds. It was a store I enjoyed buying from. Unfortunately, when they remodeled, and moved the department, they also rearranged the fabric grouping. Now, everything is jumbled together by PRICE. Quilting cottons next to rayon, next to denim, and home decor, then another couple of summer cottons. That's fine if you only want to spend $2.50 per yard, but what about the "better" fabrics? I find something I like in the ~$5 a yard, and have to go back to the lower end to see if the companion pieces were in the mark down area. It's a night mare!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I was told .... That's why each Walmart fabric dept is different. ..... She will retire soon and she is afraid the dept will go down hill with someone that doesn't know a fig about fabric or sewing being in charge.
    Silly her! She'll be replaced by someone in a "New York minute". Why should she care, unless she REALLY likes to also shop there.
    Personally I avoid Walmart... esp. since the fabrics are gone. I haven't even been in a new superstore (2-3 years old) nearby... hearing from friends, there is very little on the shelves, nothing stocked, etc. Walmart went downhill years ago in my book. Why don't they call it China-mart?? Tho' most fabric comes from China now, even at JoAnn's and our LQS...read the end labels... caveat emptor!

My good friend had to return Chinese fabric to JoAnn's - they did refund her money - when a section of material was flawed and "missing". Too bad no one saw it when it was being cut.

Good luck to the Retiring Fabric Dept Manager.

I was in Walmart yesterday, noticed some new fabric. There are no fabrics over $5.65. We have fat quarters .97 cents. Looks to me that we are getting new fabric. I am now wondering, if our fabric dept will expand a little further.
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

I don't shop at Walmart-- for anything-- because of their corporate policies. I would rather pay more money at another store.

You can get lovely REAL LQS shop fabrics online at great clearance prices on many sites. I've been paying $5-6 a yard for them, and that is WITH the shipping factored in...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Our local Walmart has fabric but I haven't been there for awhile so don't know the prices. What is the quality of the higher priced fabric some of you are seeing in WM? Those prices are pretty steep. I don't buy fabric there because I don't want to mix it in with LQS fabric even though the colors/patterns might work.

My Walmart, thankfully, never lost its fabric department. And yes, I've seen the $8.00 per yard fabric. The manager told me ALL of the fabric will be going up soon. She has been getting lots of new fabric, but at those prices, I'm afraid.......the only good thing (for Walmart, that is) is that there are no other fabric stores within 1 hour driving of me...

With the cost of gas, groceries, and everything else, I'll be pinching pennies and spending less!!

Blog Entries
    Our WM has what they call "discount fabric". They display it out front the day it comes in and then stuff it in the back bins later. I got some really nice red print fabric for my log cabin for $2.00 a yard, but when I went back a few days later, I had to search for the fabric in the back.

Next time you are at WM and have some time to spare check out the prices on the bolts. The discount fabric is blended in.

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez View Post
    I was in Walmart yesterday, noticed some new fabric. There are no fabrics over $5.65. We have fat quarters .97 cents. Looks to me that we are getting new fabric. I am now wondering, if our fabric dept will expand a little further.
    Check the size of those fat quarters. They are definitely not 18 X 22. I was disappointed to see that they do not have knowledgeable buyers in Bentonville. I was a store manager for WM for several years and the fabric and crafts dept was a real draw in my stores. The cutting table was the busiest service area in the store even before quilting became the staple. You have to be creative and have people working in that area that know fabric, techniques, resources and can talk to people. The walls were covered with projects made by associates and customers. I am not happy with the imported fabrics of such poor quality and mystery content that are available now. The home office determined the sq footage allotted for each of the 40 departments in a store from the demographics of the area of the country where you are located. Every year I would receive a schematic that would give the size of the area allotted. The fabric and crafts area has shrunk and the electronics department has exploded. Such as the times of our lives with technology owning the floor space. Twenty-five yrs of retail allows a lot of hindsight.

I am so greatful to live where I still can buy beautiful fabric for 3.99-4.99 per yard. and YES it is great quality. As far as WM goes, I haven't checked in a while - if its $8 per yard, they can keep it, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mona Marie View Post
    Our WM prices have gone up but so has the quality
    Glad you mentioned this as I was wondering about the quality of their fabrics.

My Walmart has the pre-packaged stuff, and it is garbage. The fat quarter packs are of poor quality and not cut correctly. They are also full of flaws. The charm packs were ok... but I won't buy there again. I do much better shopping at online QS.

I would spend more than my allowance if I found fabric for $8.00 a yard!!! Our stores (not Walmart) have fabric for $10-11!!!!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Here, they are doing the same old thing, lots of fabric from cheapie to good quality. Problem is trying to find someone to cut it when you find what you want. Most of the time I give up and leave it on the cutting table, so they know someone had been there. This is the practice that led to them getting rid of the fabric because it wasn't cost effective for the floor space it took up. It would pay for itself if and only IF someone is available to cut it. They can't seem to get that through their heads.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

We have 3 Walmarts within 20 minuts of our home,1 has no fabric and lots of crafty stuff, one has some fabric and they seem to have a person who knows what she is doing(young and learning) the third has gotten lots of fabric and supplies for sewing and quilting and a lady that really knows what she is talking about when she is talking all kind of sewing. I'm still careful about the fabric though as most of it comes from china, as that is what the end bolt tag says.

I saw some beautiful fabric the other day at Wal-Mart. I picked it up and it was $7.96/yard. I felt the fabric and it felt really rough, so I opened it up...I kid you not it was a black fabric and I could see through it and see all of the fabric on the shelf in front of me. I folded it back on the bolt and put the bolt up. Then I went to my LQS's sweetheart sale and got fabrics from $4/yard and up.

I was told by a fabric rep that Walmart takes the first few runs of the fabric. When they work out the dyes then the fabric stores take the later runs. That is why same thing but cheaper.

WE have several Walmarts within easy driving distance of my home here in Southern CA. But only one has fabric and it is staffed by permanent people who only work in that dept. Plus it is opened 24 hours a day. The girl there told me that they had done away with it several years ago but customers made such a stink that they bought it back and she told them she would manage it but she made them sign some kind of contract that they would leave it for 4 or 5 years. Something like that. Apparently, Walmart goes through redesigning or revamping their stores ever 4-5 years or something like that. It is a pretty good size fabric dept. I go there when I did a child's print because they seem to carry oodles of them.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2 View Post
    We consider ourselves lucky if we can get fabric at $8 a metre at our local Spotlight stores. Otherwise it's the LQS at around $20 or more a metre
    I am coming to Melbourne in April and I have been forewarned about the prices for material so I am saving my pennies up. I want to buy some material there to bring back to the states. I remember finding Lindcraft there but there material seems to be like our JoAnns here in the states.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast