Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Walmart Sticker Shock

The cotton crop was lost either last year or the year before and that's the reason fabric prices have gone through the roof. Also look at how much everything has gone up. Our economy is suppose to be getting better? I don't know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona Marie View Post
    Our WM prices have gone up but so has the quality
    I have 2 walmarts within reasonable driving distance. One has a tiny, crappy fabric dept with cheap quality and high prices. The other has a very nice, large fabric dept. with good quality and the same prices. Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by vlm219 View Post
    Our local Walmart has fabric but I haven't been there for awhile so don't know the prices. What is the quality of the higher priced fabric some of you are seeing in WM? Those prices are pretty steep. I don't buy fabric there because I don't want to mix it in with LQS fabric even though the colors/patterns might work.

Had to respond ......If LQS fabric is so superior to the lowly walmart fabric, you shouldn't have any problems to tell the 2 apart.
    Christina

[QUOTE=MaggieBB;4980238]We have 3 Walmarts within 20 minuts of our home,1 has no fabric and lots of crafty stuff, one has some fabric and they seem to have a person who knows what she is doing(young and learning) the third has gotten lots of fabric and supplies for sewing and quilting and a lady that really knows what she is talking about when she is talking all kind of sewing. I'm still careful about the fabric though as most of it comes from china, as that is what the end bolt tag says.[/QUOTE

I googled fabric manufacturers. I didn't find any quilting fabric manufacturers listed for the US. The US companies had their manufactuerers listed as being in China,Pakinstan,Thailand,and India, as the main countries, then Turkey, Phillipines, etc. Does ANYONE have any other information about the manufacture of quilting fabric being in the US or in NATO countries? I would much prefer to buy those.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 02-17-2012 at 07:41 AM.

I was in wal-mart the other day and watched as they upped the price of fabric that has been there for quite some time. Higher prices but no better quality. I would rather pay more at a fabric store and get good quality fabric when I am putting many hours into a project.

I would not be caught buying walmart fabric I can buy name brand stuff in line for the same price and know it will stand up not fade not loose the design have a higher thread count so often ironing it after washing is not necessary. My favorite is Hancocks of Paduka .Their web specials are top of the line fabrics their cuts are generous and the price is just what you are looking for.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

I was in WM last night and tried to buy some fusable interfacing, but no one came to the department to cut it for me. Another couple was also waiting for service, and customer service had been paged three times. Still no one showed up. I put the interfacing back and will face the ordeal of JoAnn's today. At least they have people working there.

Have to check out the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by jbud2 View Post
    I paid 5.97/yard at Walmart yesterday. The cutter was really busy - I was 3rd in line. A JoAnn's just opened, and HobbyLobby opened before Christmas. Walmart has a lot of competition right now in the area. Before Christmas their only competition was a few LQS's - so Walmart had the least expensive game in town. And getting help in the fabric department was the pits - backup was from the electronic department! It will be interesting over the next year.
    I too was in Walmart and Paul from the electronic department had to help us out. He knew nothing about fabric but was trained how to figure the price. Very sad. The area was a mess.

I was also surprised at the prices of fabric in walmarts....they did have a big selection....I am just glad they are are selling fabric again....
    Proud Mother of Sarah Grey
    Grey's Fabric and Notions
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/greysfabric?ref=seller_info

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Well, I'm very glad that they've brought back the fabric, but last night I experienced sticker shock - most fabrics were just under $8/yard! Maybe they think they've turned into an LQS? Sorry, Walmart. Not at those prices.
    I suspect Walmart is seeing what the market will bear. With quilters begging for fabric back, it HAS to be a financial move - if they can get $8 and still are cheaper than the local LQS, they probably figure " Why not?!".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfrog View Post
    Silly her! She'll be replaced by someone in a "New York minute". Why should she care, unless she REALLY likes to also shop there.

Good luck to the Retiring Fabric Dept Manager.

If you could see this WalMart's fabric dept. You'd know why she cares. She built it up and stood up to the head office to keep it big and full. It still has the Simplicity and McCalls big pattern drawers with catalogs and stools to sit and browse through. She will custom order whatever she can for her customers. Her dept has the Fuze a Boo batting and the no skrim batting. She orders wide cotton backing, a bolt of everything Pellon makes. She got the last of the June Taylor notions and stock piled them so her store still has the Shape Cuts and fussy cut rulers. She cares about her customers. It's a very small town and this lady is proud of her dept. The store manager will retire not long after she does so everyone knows this dept will go back to home office regulation. I don't think she is silly at all. She actually cares about her job and customers. She is one of a kind Walmart employee and probably the only one that will be missed by customers when she retires.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    sorry, duplicate post.
    Got fabric?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL
    I googled fabric manufacturers. I didn't find any quilting fabric manufacturers listed for the US. The US companies had their manufactuerers listed as being in China,Pakinstan,Thailand,and India, as the main countries, then Turkey, Phillipines, etc. Does ANYONE have any other information about the manufacture of quilting fabric being in the US or in NATO countries? I would much prefer to buy those.
    TanyaL, the reason you're not finding any fabric companies who manufacture in the US is because there are none. At least, none that make cotton fabric. That all is woven in Asia, and it is all printed overseas, too, in Pakistan, China, South Korea, Japan, and Indonesia (for batiks).

The only place that I know of that prints cotton fabric in the US is Santee. They are the company that prints a lot of the basic prints that are on the calico wall at JoAnn Fabrics.

If you are looking for poly/cotton fabrics that are made in the US, then send me a PM because I do have a link to a US manufacturer that I could send you.

The WalMart Super store in my town does not have fabric, just notions. The small town WalMart 19 miles away never lost fabric, but they did downsize quite a lot. JoAnns opened last August 45 miles away were there is a very nice LQS and Hancocks, so I do have choices of fabric and price range. Now the good news is that a LQS opened two weeks ago in my little town of 6000 people, she is starting small and is offering fabric and yarn, hoping to appeal to quilters and yarn crafters. Giving her support and spreading the word.
    Daisydoodle
    Plant a garden and watch for miraclesÂ….

What I experience at my local Walmart is all over the map. We bought a bolt (yes, all 14 yards) of a fabric that was special purchase from China- it was $2 a yard. I feel guilty about that one- sweatshop special, but it fit our needs at the time. Most of the fabrics I am seeing are in the $6-9 range, and I am glad to see the quality is coming up greatly, as are the choice selections. I never know what to expect- there is no consistency at all. I have to look at each fabric individually for quality before deciding to buy, but there are some real bargains in there if you know what you are looking at, and some that are overpriced for the thinness of the fabric or topsurface of the print (color that isn't saturating the layers and will look faded in a hurry with a few washes). It is a buyer beware situation.
    HQ18 Avante

Our LQS has from $5.95 to 9.95 a yard for 100% cotton and good quality fabric. Every month or so she also moves stuff on discount table to put in new stuff and that goes from $1.98 to $3.98 a yard.

Aside from the average LQS selling between $11-14 a yard I have seen some sell at much higher prices.

Our LQS has been in business for over 40 years and recently was sold to one of the employees and not much as changed regarding prices with exception of sale items going a tad higher but no more than $3.98 a yard.

Our local Walmart has prices similar to what is mentioned here but go to a neighboring town and it's a couple dollars a yard less and better quality and selection of material. Our local Walmart does not have good quality fabric even at almost $7 a yard. If I can put my hand behind it and see through it ... it definately is not good quality.
    cparant

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Well, I'm very glad that they've brought back the fabric, but last night I experienced sticker shock - most fabrics were just under $8/yard! Maybe they think they've turned into an LQS? Sorry, Walmart. Not at those prices.
    Wow..That is high for Wall Mart fabric...Where do you live? I just bought fabric from our Wall Mart on Thursday. Some was 3.97 a yard and the highest was 5.44 a yard. Hope it dosen't go up before I can get back and stock up.

Our Walmart had batik for $3.97 a yard! It was comparable to what JoAnn's sells for $9.99 a yard! Some of the fabric was junk but a lot of it was equal or better than JoAnn's. You just have to be choosy.
    Leslie

Has the quality of the fabric improved as the price went up?
    ABCDEFG

We need to keep in mind this fact: while we all quilt, that is not what all that some of us do who sew. Some of us sew costumes for plays which get worn a few times only. Some of us sew for children who wear summer clothes 3 or 4 months and they get tossed. There are legimate uses for some not so sturdily woven fabric. Sometimes I like a see through blouse. Walmart has never intended its fabric to be only quilting fabric just as Hancock or Hobby Lobby is not for only quilting fabric. Sometimes when we say a piece of fabric goods was so thin we couldn't possibly use it for quilting, it is wonderful for a sheer overblouse or some other use. Turning our nose up at a department for having a variety of fabric is like saying "I won't shop in that electronics department ever because when I was there they did not have a single printer that was suitable for my need." You know you may need a camera, TV, movie, etc. at some date. And sometime you MIGHT need a piece of fabric for something other than quilting.
    Maybe we should just say, "I can choose from a variety of fabric stores (if you are among those so fortunate) and I choose to buy my quilting fabric at XYZ store." That sounds so much nicer.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 02-17-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ours is not that high either. I bought 4 different kinds yesterday and they ranged from 2.99 to 5.99.

QUOTE=Jingle;4977110]Our Wal Mart does NOT have fabrics that expensive. I have lots of fabrics there, Joanns has some identical fabric as Wal Mart and just costs more. Buyer Beware!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I don't think the quality of the walmart fabric is good enough to pay their prices.
    Judy

Walmart is able to offer merchandise at lower prices, partly because they go not have to offer the personalized service that smaller shops offer, even tho some of the items are the same as the smaller shops carry.
    Because some of us purchase fabric at a store does not mean they should carry it, if it is costing them money to do so. And if it is personalized service we want, then we probably need to frequent the smaller shops. I never minded a wait at the fabric counter, if it meant saving $ on a good piece of fabric. Remember, it takes more than a few dozen people buying fabric to make it profitable for the store to carry it.

i was at our walmart the othr day and the cheapest price for cotton was $7.87 a yard !!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast