View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Sharbank

Originally Posted by EagarBeez View Post
I was in Walmart yesterday, noticed some new fabric. There are no fabrics over $5.65. We have fat quarters .97 cents. Looks to me that we are getting new fabric. I am now wondering, if our fabric dept will expand a little further.
Check the size of those fat quarters. They are definitely not 18 X 22. I was disappointed to see that they do not have knowledgeable buyers in Bentonville. I was a store manager for WM for several years and the fabric and crafts dept was a real draw in my stores. The cutting table was the busiest service area in the store even before quilting became the staple. You have to be creative and have people working in that area that know fabric, techniques, resources and can talk to people. The walls were covered with projects made by associates and customers. I am not happy with the imported fabrics of such poor quality and mystery content that are available now. The home office determined the sq footage allotted for each of the 40 departments in a store from the demographics of the area of the country where you are located. Every year I would receive a schematic that would give the size of the area allotted. The fabric and crafts area has shrunk and the electronics department has exploded. Such as the times of our lives with technology owning the floor space. Twenty-five yrs of retail allows a lot of hindsight.