View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 08:25 AM
thepolyparrot

Like someone else said, "Quilt in a Day" is a way of encouraging people who want to try it, but think that making a quilt is a lifetime endeavor. (that's what I used to think)

I can make a quilt in a day, but it would look like I made it in a day, too.

I spend too much money on fabric and thread to race through a project just to get it done. I want it to be as complex and neat and "perfect" as I can make it.

This one was a block of the month - ten fabrics, ten blocks every month. It took two days to do the blocks every month. It took five or six days ( a few hours each day) to sew the blocks together and put the borders on and a day or so to piece the back. It's far from perfect, but since HST's are my sworn nemesis and this quilt consists entirely of HST's, I'm happy with the progress I'm making. The majority of my points are where they belong, and if I had to ootch and scootch a little here and there, that's fine. No hurry.

I found a nice longarmer here to baste it for me because the darn thing is too big for my 8' square basting table. And I erred in my math somewhere, so the first thing I need to do when I pick it up is add 3" of fabric all around to the backing. But, I try to enjoy even the little bloopers when they come along. I learn more from those than from the "successful" days and troubleshooting is fun.

The bottom two pictures are the layouts from EQ for the whole top and backing.
Attached Thumbnails lady-lake-center-02.jpg   lady-lake-eq.jpg   lady-lake-eq-back.jpg