Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you really make a quilt in a day?

Blog Entries

Can you really make a quilt in a day?

I just figured up all the time I spent cutting, sewing, quilting and finishing my first lap quilt. I counted up 35 hours, give or take a couple of hours. I know I'm a quilting newbie, but I've been sewing for a long time, so I know my way around the sewing room. I started wondering, is it really possible to make a quilt in a day? Is Eleanor Burns really saying you can make a quilt in a day or is that just a figure of speech?

I think those that don't work probably could make a quilt in a day.

Elanor's first book was a log cabin block, and yes, you can make that one in a day, all day, from start to finish. Not all of her quilt patterns can be done that fast, but her methods are usually a lot faster than doing things the traditional way.

I have run across a couple of patterns that if everything is cut the day before you can sew the *top* in one day. But a top is not a quilt.

Blog Entries
    A jelly roll race quilt top can be made in under two hours using a pre cut jelly roll. It can be sandwiched and turned and tied quilted in about 2 hours so a completed quilt can be made in less then 5 hours. Some of my guild members can make the whole Jelly roll race quilt in less then two hours. Some make the quilt top in under 45 min.

video here: http://blog.heirloomcreations.net/?p=1897
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Some days I think I work pretty fast and get a lot done. Other days I wonder what the heck I did all day. I don't work and I've yet to make a quilt "top" in a day. LOL
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I did a small attic windows quilt start to finish in about 8 hours many years ago. Though mostly, I need at least 12 hours to totally finish a simple pattern, including binding. I admit I have a mid-arm which does help.

I'm like joyce888. I don't work and most of the time I don't get a lot done in a day. I've seen a jelly roll race online and it's really really fast! The lady who won made the top in 35 minutes! I never did a quilt in a day though, not even a jelly roll race quilt.
    Eat, quilt, bike, sleep and repeat

I think if I had a full day, I could do the Jelly Roll Race quilt in a day but not sure about anything else, especially if it required lots of cutting. I usually get about 2 hours total a day, if that. I did finish a quilt in about 5 days but there was not much cutting since I used a layer cake and the backing was wide enough I didn't have to piece.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

My question is why would you want to? Why race to complete? IMHO quilting is a hobby to be savored and enjoyed. Quite honestly how nice is a quilt that was raced to completion? Seems if you are racing to finish you will be cutting corners and not piecing very precisely or checking your seams to ensure they will hold up. I just don't get it.
    Yes I love to see the progression and yes I love the feeling of accomplishment I have when finishing up a quilt but I think that is because I choose peicing patterns that are complex and visually interesting. I want my quilts to hold up to hard use and I want them appealing enough that they WILL be used.

I carefully and thoughtfully select my quilting designs and motifs to compliment and enhance the piecing or carry on the theme of the quilt. I just don't understand the enticement of racing to complete a quilt just to get it done.

Blog Entries
    I have finished a top in one day, but I don't think I could make a top, quilt it and bind it in one day.
    Sadiemae

I doubt if I could get a top--even a small one--done in a day. I have this terrible habit of redesigning as I go--which usually increases the difficulty, and time of course.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Power Poster
    Sure you could make a quilt in a day but unless you were on a deadline, who would want to? I am in the time of my quilting hobby where I really want to do some of the quilts from my bucket list. These quilts are about enjoying the process and not rushing to finish. With fabric prices going up, a design has to be quilt worthy not necessarily quick.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ......who would want to? I am in the time of my quilting hobby where I really want to do some of the quilts from my bucket list. These quilts are about enjoying the process and not rushing to finish. With fabric prices going up, a design has to be quilt worthy not necessarily quick.
    LOL! I agree with Tartan!! I like to enjoy the process and try different techniques. I have a friend that prides herself on how fast she can make a quilt and she does complete a quilt in one day. She uses up fabric faster than anyone in our guild!! This is great for her style and enjoyment but it's not for everyone - her patterns are all large pieced rectangles and squares that are just rearranged to make very large blocks. Unfortunately, my list of more intricate patterns grows significantly after I've gone to a quilt show or taken a class and have had my creativity sparked!

I think 'Quilt in a Day' is a company name, figure of speech, just like 'Better Homes and Gardens'. LOL

http://www.maryquilts.com/quick-strippie/
    I have done one quilt start to finish in a day. This pattern was one of my first quilts. (I did have a full time job then by the way.) My DS has been sleeping with this quilt every night for almost 3 years now. It is a simple pattern, but I made it with his school colors and mascot and he loves it. I did simple SID quilting and rolled the backing forward and machine stitched it down. Fast and satisfying for a beginner.

I think maybe the phrase was coined to encourage those that would like to try making a quilt but "don't have the time". Many of the techniques are timesaving and do show that you CAN make a quilt quickly. I can and have made quilt tops, esp. baby quilts in a day but i like the process of piecing and quilting and don't mind spending the time needed to make one.

Blog Entries
    Years before I started quilting my late DM made me a Trip Around the World queen size quilt. It ws a Quilt in a Day pattern. She did make the top in one day, but I will tell you it was a looooong day.

Usually I don't sew fast, but there are times when you need a quilt really fast and you do what you have to do.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    I would probably need help and have everything cut and ready to go.

I can make a Jelly Roll Race quilt with two borders in 3 1/2 hours. Start to finish.

Blog Entries
    I'm quite sure I couldn't even go close, but nor would Iwant to.

Blog Entries
    For me quilting is a pastime. I do it for enjoyment and not for quantity. I don't really see the joy in racing.

A day is 24 hrs long. Yes, I probably could do it, but why would I want to, takes all the enjoyment out of it.

Since I hand piece AND hand quilt, it's not possible for me to make a quilt in a day!

Blog Entries
    When DGD is here she picks out a jelly roll she has to have and wants me to make her a quilt. A couple of hours and the jelly roll quilt is done. I know she has at least six of them and everyone is folded and on the foot of her bed. They aren't heirlooms by any means but she loves them. When she goes to sleep- overs, camp, lock ins, one of the quilts go with her. If one gets lost or misplaced it isn't a devastating loss. So that's why I make a quilt in a day.
    Got fabric?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast