Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you really make a quilt in a day? >

Can you really make a quilt in a day?

Can you really make a quilt in a day?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Default Can you really make a quilt in a day?

I just figured up all the time I spent cutting, sewing, quilting and finishing my first lap quilt. I counted up 35 hours, give or take a couple of hours. I know I'm a quilting newbie, but I've been sewing for a long time, so I know my way around the sewing room. I started wondering, is it really possible to make a quilt in a day? Is Eleanor Burns really saying you can make a quilt in a day or is that just a figure of speech?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 AM

I think those that don't work probably could make a quilt in a day.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 AM

Elanor's first book was a log cabin block, and yes, you can make that one in a day, all day, from start to finish. Not all of her quilt patterns can be done that fast, but her methods are usually a lot faster than doing things the traditional way.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 AM

I have run across a couple of patterns that if everything is cut the day before you can sew the *top* in one day. But a top is not a quilt.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

A jelly roll race quilt top can be made in under two hours using a pre cut jelly roll. It can be sandwiched and turned and tied quilted in about 2 hours so a completed quilt can be made in less then 5 hours. Some of my guild members can make the whole Jelly roll race quilt in less then two hours. Some make the quilt top in under 45 min.

video here: http://blog.heirloomcreations.net/?p=1897
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Some days I think I work pretty fast and get a lot done. Other days I wonder what the heck I did all day. I don't work and I've yet to make a quilt "top" in a day. LOL
Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 AM

I did a small attic windows quilt start to finish in about 8 hours many years ago. Though mostly, I need at least 12 hours to totally finish a simple pattern, including binding. I admit I have a mid-arm which does help.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:02 AM

I'm like joyce888. I don't work and most of the time I don't get a lot done in a day. I've seen a jelly roll race online and it's really really fast! The lady who won made the top in 35 minutes! I never did a quilt in a day though, not even a jelly roll race quilt.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 AM

I think if I had a full day, I could do the Jelly Roll Race quilt in a day but not sure about anything else, especially if it required lots of cutting. I usually get about 2 hours total a day, if that. I did finish a quilt in about 5 days but there was not much cutting since I used a layer cake and the backing was wide enough I didn't have to piece.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

My question is why would you want to? Why race to complete? IMHO quilting is a hobby to be savored and enjoyed. Quite honestly how nice is a quilt that was raced to completion? Seems if you are racing to finish you will be cutting corners and not piecing very precisely or checking your seams to ensure they will hold up. I just don't get it.
Yes I love to see the progression and yes I love the feeling of accomplishment I have when finishing up a quilt but I think that is because I choose peicing patterns that are complex and visually interesting. I want my quilts to hold up to hard use and I want them appealing enough that they WILL be used.

I carefully and thoughtfully select my quilting designs and motifs to compliment and enhance the piecing or carry on the theme of the quilt. I just don't understand the enticement of racing to complete a quilt just to get it done.