View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 AM
pjones59

Default Poor planning and now faced with dilemma

I'm working on a baby quilt for my daughter-in-law. I had the dimensions for the top written on my white board, had trimmed the panel I'm using etc., and put it aside while finishing a tabletopper. In the meantime, my 12 year old Jack Russell was diagnosed with cancer and everything was put on hold during her illness. She passed away last week and yesterday I decided to get back to work on the quilt to take my mind off things. I completely forgot to trim down my panel to size, just squared it up, cut and attached my borders. This morning I pull out my backing which, had I measured my top correctly, would have been a perfect fit. As it is, my top is about 8 inches too large lengthwise. I don't want to undo my borders, since I did a narrow mitered corner inner border and a wider blocked border and it turned out well. Would it look awful if I added lengthwise 4-inch borders to the edges of my backing? The main backing is squares in pink, purples, and yellow, and I have enough of a purple fabric to make borders for the lengthwise edges.