Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Poor planning and now faced with dilemma >

Poor planning and now faced with dilemma

Poor planning and now faced with dilemma

Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 AM

Default Poor planning and now faced with dilemma

I'm working on a baby quilt for my daughter-in-law. I had the dimensions for the top written on my white board, had trimmed the panel I'm using etc., and put it aside while finishing a tabletopper. In the meantime, my 12 year old Jack Russell was diagnosed with cancer and everything was put on hold during her illness. She passed away last week and yesterday I decided to get back to work on the quilt to take my mind off things. I completely forgot to trim down my panel to size, just squared it up, cut and attached my borders. This morning I pull out my backing which, had I measured my top correctly, would have been a perfect fit. As it is, my top is about 8 inches too large lengthwise. I don't want to undo my borders, since I did a narrow mitered corner inner border and a wider blocked border and it turned out well. Would it look awful if I added lengthwise 4-inch borders to the edges of my backing? The main backing is squares in pink, purples, and yellow, and I have enough of a purple fabric to make borders for the lengthwise edges.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:39 AM

It will be perfect. A little larger will make it perfect for a toddler when the baby grows!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:50 AM

The best/nicest pieced backings that I have seen have a wide (main color strip), an added strip, and then a narrower strip (main color/fabric). I think the added strip should be in the middle with the other/main fabric on either side but the added strip should be off center. I think it looks great and as if it was done on purpose that way. I actually often prefer it that way.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Power Poster

it will be fine- many of us piece our backs to make them the correct size- some split the backing through the center & add a (row) strip across the center to add length- some split it a couple times & add a couple rows- some add to the top & bottom- some to the sides- there is nothing (wrong) with being creative with your backing to make it the correct size...it will be great how ever you choose to make it work
Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t149566.html

Here is a link to a gorgeous quilt with a pieced back with a strip that is off center. Look how awesome it looks. Plain backs can be really "plain" but pieced backs can really add some interest. Have fun with it. Don't look at it as a mistake but an opportunity to try something different.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 AM

Thanks, everyone! I have my strips cut and am going to lay it out a couple of different ways and see how it looks. I've done a split backing before (another one of my happy little accidents, haha) and it turned out well and definitely added some zip to an otherwise plain backing.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:36 AM

The baby will love it, and there are no quilt police If there are, they have more issues than you have... Go for it!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:59 AM

Great idea!!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 AM

I love pieced backings. I think it will be beautiful.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

If anyone asks- it was planned that way Go with it

And sorry about the loss of your beloved Russell (HUGS)