Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Poor planning and now faced with dilemma

Poor planning and now faced with dilemma

I'm working on a baby quilt for my daughter-in-law. I had the dimensions for the top written on my white board, had trimmed the panel I'm using etc., and put it aside while finishing a tabletopper. In the meantime, my 12 year old Jack Russell was diagnosed with cancer and everything was put on hold during her illness. She passed away last week and yesterday I decided to get back to work on the quilt to take my mind off things. I completely forgot to trim down my panel to size, just squared it up, cut and attached my borders. This morning I pull out my backing which, had I measured my top correctly, would have been a perfect fit. As it is, my top is about 8 inches too large lengthwise. I don't want to undo my borders, since I did a narrow mitered corner inner border and a wider blocked border and it turned out well. Would it look awful if I added lengthwise 4-inch borders to the edges of my backing? The main backing is squares in pink, purples, and yellow, and I have enough of a purple fabric to make borders for the lengthwise edges.

It will be perfect. A little larger will make it perfect for a toddler when the baby grows!!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    But by the number of moments that take our breath away!
    God bless you!

The best/nicest pieced backings that I have seen have a wide (main color strip), an added strip, and then a narrower strip (main color/fabric). I think the added strip should be in the middle with the other/main fabric on either side but the added strip should be off center. I think it looks great and as if it was done on purpose that way. I actually often prefer it that way.

Blog Entries
    it will be fine- many of us piece our backs to make them the correct size- some split the backing through the center & add a (row) strip across the center to add length- some split it a couple times & add a couple rows- some add to the top & bottom- some to the sides- there is nothing (wrong) with being creative with your backing to make it the correct size...it will be great how ever you choose to make it work
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t149566.html

Here is a link to a gorgeous quilt with a pieced back with a strip that is off center. Look how awesome it looks. Plain backs can be really "plain" but pieced backs can really add some interest. Have fun with it. Don't look at it as a mistake but an opportunity to try something different.

Thanks, everyone! I have my strips cut and am going to lay it out a couple of different ways and see how it looks. I've done a split backing before (another one of my happy little accidents, haha) and it turned out well and definitely added some zip to an otherwise plain backing.

The baby will love it, and there are no quilt police If there are, they have more issues than you have... Go for it!!!

Blog Entries
    Great idea!!

I love pieced backings. I think it will be beautiful.

Blog Entries
    If anyone asks- it was planned that way Go with it

And sorry about the loss of your beloved Russell (HUGS)
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Blog Entries
    It will be fine!!!

Instead of adding borders, you can split the backing and add one or more strips in the middle to get it to the right side. These can be very decorative. Or, you can slash the backing diagonally and add a wide strip in the middle. A slash like that can add a lot of interest to the backing.

Quilts take well to creative "fixes".