Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Peckish

Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie View Post
Just curious, if anyone is willing to share....how much do most LAQ's charge for a quilt? I know there's a huge difference between someone just stippling vs a computerized or detailed design. A friend of mine took a king size log cabin quilt to a LAQ and never asked them up front what they would charge. They did a nice job of FMQ feathers throughout, but charged her $1200. I can't believe someone would take a quilt to be done and have absolutely no clue how much it might cost them.
It's rather hard to say what "most" LAQs charge, because it depends on sooo many factors. How big is the quilt. How dense is the pattern. Is it hand or machine guided. What area of the country are you in - prices quoted in Seattle (for example) would be much higher than rural Arkansas, simply because the cost of living is higher. How skilled and in demand is the quilter - I know of a few LAQs who are so good at quilting, they are able to be very choosy about their clients and they charge a lot more.

Your best bet for pricing in YOUR area is to call around and ask for pricing info. Most quilters will give you a basic quote of cents per inch for pantos or edge-to-edge, and another rate for custom quilting. Some quilters will have pricing info on their websites, also.

$1200 seems awfully steep to me. The most I ever paid was $350 for a machine-guided panto on a 110" x 110" quilt.