Thread: Thread issues?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 PM
margecam52

Mona
I haven't looked at the replies...but sounds like you need to clean out the bobbin area, and around the feed dogs (even if you aren't using them). When lint/dust builds up, and it only takes a tiny bit on a home machine (or longarm for that matter)..then you will have this kind of issue.

Also check the top area for lint buildup, or for thread that has gotten caught in the tension assembly. Oil the machine, including putting a drop on the bottom front edge of the bobbin hook area (where the bobbin fits in).

The "rule" that if there is loops on the underside, it's a top tension issue, and loops on the top is a bobbin issue, is only partly true. It holds true if you are certain the bobbin tension is correct to start...then you adjust the upper tension to match the bobbin.

If you have a drop in bobbin...take the face plate off and pull the case out...or if it's not removable...clean all around it and add a drop of oil to the center of the case...then put the bobbin back in.

Originally Posted by mona202 View Post
I am in the middle of a piano topper and all of a sudden the bottom tension (doing FMQ) is a mess! I was quilting along and doing fine, and now the thread keeps bunching up and even coming out of the needle as well (how does it do that?) I have done nothing to the tension at top or bottom. I am using an old kenmore (34 yrs old) and it has been great. I changed the needle, put another bobbin of thread in, cleaned out the bobbin section and top plate, my feed dogs are down, what the heck? It seems to work fine of a swatch of just fabric but not with the quilt out of the blue. Any ideas?