Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Thread issues?

  1. #1
    Junior Member mona202's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    225
    Blog Entries
    1

    Unhappy Thread issues?

    I am in the middle of a piano topper and all of a sudden the bottom tension (doing FMQ) is a mess! I was quilting along and doing fine, and now the thread keeps bunching up and even coming out of the needle as well (how does it do that?) I have done nothing to the tension at top or bottom. I am using an old kenmore (34 yrs old) and it has been great. I changed the needle, put another bobbin of thread in, cleaned out the bobbin section and top plate, my feed dogs are down, what the heck? It seems to work fine of a swatch of just fabric but not with the quilt out of the blue. Any ideas?
    Empress Mona (teeheehee)

  2. #2
    Senior Member dash2000lbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Big Bear City Ca
    Posts
    358
    I had this happen using my Bernina ... What I did was oil the bobbin ...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St. Augustine, Fl and Nashville, Ga.
    Posts
    267
    This has happened to me also. The first thing I have learned to do (after blood sweat and tears) is to take the threat out and retread the machine. Then sew on a scrap to check the stitching. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Super Member JulieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Emmitsburg, MD
    Posts
    1,624
    Yep, I've had this happen with thread before -- spendy stuff, too. If you clean up and rethread the machine and it's still happening, change the thread and see if it's still a problem. If not, bingo.

  5. #5
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    29,905
    If the thread is pulling out of the needle, I would think something is impeding the thread coming smoothly from the spool? Is your thread on your spool stacked or cross threaded? The each require different positions to flow freely. Stacked likes to be vertical and cross threaded likes to be horizontal?

  6. #6
    Junior Member mona202's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    225
    Blog Entries
    1

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    If the thread is pulling out of the needle, I would think something is impeding the thread coming smoothly from the spool? Is your thread on your spool stacked or cross threaded? The each require different positions to flow freely. Stacked likes to be vertical and cross threaded likes to be horizontal?
    How do you tell? it is just a regular spool of coats and clark 100% all purpose cotton thread. It stands up on a pin. I guess what I am saying is that I am not sure what stacked or cross threaded means. I feel silly lol
    Empress Mona (teeheehee)

  7. #7
    Junior Member mona202's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    225
    Blog Entries
    1
    I will try the oiling of the bobbin and now that I think of it, it was when I changed thread I had to buy at Wal Mart because I ran out and the fabric shop is not nearby. Wouldn't Coats and Clark be the same no matter where I bought it? I wonder if they do different qualities depending on where it is sold and at what price point? Thanks for all the advice. I will try it all and see if I can figure out what is happening. I will also try to rethread the top thread and see if indeed there is something impeding it from feeding properly into the machine. Weird that this would happen half way through. Well not even small quilts are without their issues I guess. I sure am learning alot though as a semi-new quilter. Thanks everyone!
    Empress Mona (teeheehee)

  8. #8
    Super Member hopetoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,873
    Usually I have a build up of lint in bobbin area...

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,306
    Try putting the pressure foot down. That is ALWAYS what I forget to do when I go from the sample to the real deal. Always went through all the steps, rethread, clean, change needle, etc with growing frustration.....

  10. #10
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,166
    Blog Entries
    1
    Where is the thread bunching - are you getting nests under your fabric? If this is the problem, your issue is NOT with your bobbin thread, it is with your top thread. Take ALL the thread completely off your machine and re-thread. Make sure there are no little threads stuck in your tension disks. Make sure your thread isn't getting caught on something. Sometimes my upper thread gets hung up on the handle.

    Wouldn't hurt to re-thread your bobbin also, check under the spring in your bobbin to make sure there's no thread stuck there, either.

    What size needle are you using? You might consider going up a size, especially if you're doing FMQ.

    Regarding the thread - "stacked" means it comes off the spool evenly, from top to bottom. "Cross threaded" means it crosses up and down the spool as it's wound. If you're using C&C, it's stacked.

  11. #11
    Super Member LynnVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    1,336
    WalMart buys products from name brands but requires them to reduce the prices to the point that sometimes they create a lower quality to do that. I would get a better thread from a quilt shop or online store. Personally, my favorite is Aurifil, but there are others available too. Also, companies are bought out by others that also lower the quality or change the manufacturing process to cut costs. Hope you can find a solution.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

  12. #12
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    29,905
    Cross wound thread looks like X's on the spool and stacked go around the spool in a straight line from the bottom to the top.

  13. #13
    Junior Member Mary L Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    212
    I find with fm, if the bottom thread is messing up, it is usually your top machine thread causing this. I rethread and it usually fixes the problem. If the top thread is messed up, it is usually the bobbin thread. They sometimes come out of the tension.
    Mary in TX

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    449
    Blog Entries
    2
    I had a tech. tell me some time ago that if the underneath side of the fabric is the one showing the messed up thread , your problem is usually with the top thread and that if the thread on the upper fabric is the one going amuck the bobbin thread is usually at fault. I have found that to be true on several occasions

  15. #15
    Super Member margecam52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlefield, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,088
    Mona
    I haven't looked at the replies...but sounds like you need to clean out the bobbin area, and around the feed dogs (even if you aren't using them). When lint/dust builds up, and it only takes a tiny bit on a home machine (or longarm for that matter)..then you will have this kind of issue.

    Also check the top area for lint buildup, or for thread that has gotten caught in the tension assembly. Oil the machine, including putting a drop on the bottom front edge of the bobbin hook area (where the bobbin fits in).

    The "rule" that if there is loops on the underside, it's a top tension issue, and loops on the top is a bobbin issue, is only partly true. It holds true if you are certain the bobbin tension is correct to start...then you adjust the upper tension to match the bobbin.

    If you have a drop in bobbin...take the face plate off and pull the case out...or if it's not removable...clean all around it and add a drop of oil to the center of the case...then put the bobbin back in.



    Quote Originally Posted by mona202 View Post
    I am in the middle of a piano topper and all of a sudden the bottom tension (doing FMQ) is a mess! I was quilting along and doing fine, and now the thread keeps bunching up and even coming out of the needle as well (how does it do that?) I have done nothing to the tension at top or bottom. I am using an old kenmore (34 yrs old) and it has been great. I changed the needle, put another bobbin of thread in, cleaned out the bobbin section and top plate, my feed dogs are down, what the heck? It seems to work fine of a swatch of just fabric but not with the quilt out of the blue. Any ideas?
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

  16. #16
    Super Member margecam52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlefield, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,088
    Thread on a spool from Coats is usually identical when you buy from Walmart, than when you buy for Joann's...there is no difference. This from experience...Coats has no "low end" threads...it's all the same.

    I'm thinking you may want to look at how the thread feeds off the spool..it should feed off the back of the spool on the pin (spool spins counter clockwise)...it's easy to get it on feeding clockwise.

    I still think it's a matter of keeping the bobbin area clean...probably getting batting fuzz in there...check the tensions...rethread both top and bobbin.
    And for freemotiong (darning foot attached)...make sure to lower the hopping/presser foot....I've forgotten more times than I care to count!

    Quote Originally Posted by mona202 View Post
    I will try the oiling of the bobbin and now that I think of it, it was when I changed thread I had to buy at Wal Mart because I ran out and the fabric shop is not nearby. Wouldn't Coats and Clark be the same no matter where I bought it? I wonder if they do different qualities depending on where it is sold and at what price point? Thanks for all the advice. I will try it all and see if I can figure out what is happening. I will also try to rethread the top thread and see if indeed there is something impeding it from feeding properly into the machine. Weird that this would happen half way through. Well not even small quilts are without their issues I guess. I sure am learning alot though as a semi-new quilter. Thanks everyone!
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.